Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Vegas Trip Report (1/13/2005 - 1/16/2005) [Long]

Trip Report 1/13 - 1/16

Left Seattle at 7 PM. I could have been bumped and picked up an extra ticket, but the next flight to Vegas didn’t leave until 6 AM Friday morning and that was too long a wait just for a free ticket.

Though the plane was late leaving Seattle, the ride was smooth and it was good times as me and the two ladies in my row had fun drinking our way to Vegas. Unfortunately for me, both were meeting significant others in Vegas.

We land in Vegas at 9 PM. I take a shuttle to Excalibur, meet up with a friend, dropped my stuff off in our room, and decided to check out the poker rooms.

Here’s a brief run down:

Excalibur
Nothing special. They have a wheel you spin if you get quads or better, or if you get aces cracked. They had two spread limit games going ($1-3 & $2-6) and a NL game. I only played in the spread limit $2/6 game, it was OK.

Luxor
Small card room. They give a small bonus if you hit a straight flush or better. They spread $2/4, $4/8, and NL. The best thing about this room was that all the chicks walked by on their way to Ra. Lots of eye candy. I played in the $50 NL game, it was pretty soft. Also played in their nightly tournament, more on that later.

Monte Carlo
About the same size as Luxor, but where the Luxor has eye candy, the Monte Carlo has elegance. They spread $2/4, $3/6, $4/8, NL, and Stud. They have a jackpot for quads or better, both hole cards playing.
Soft games till the sharks show up.

Alladin
About the same size as the Excalibur and a bit nicer. Like the Monte Carlo, they have a jackpot for quads or better. They offer $2/4, $4/8, and NL. Soft games all around.

Bellagio
They had a nice, big poker room, spreading all sorts of limits. I didn’t want to wait, so I never played there. No jackpots.

Mirage
Not quite as big as the Bellagio, but just as nice. Lots of different limits, though they had only one $6/12 table. I played both the $3/6 and $6/12 games, and both were soft. No jackpots.

I continued drinking while there (190 Octanes with the extra shot of everclear) and dropped a bit at the Alladin and Exclaibur. Got to bed around 4 AM.

Woke up at 10 on Friday, got ready, and hit the strip. The rest of our group was coming in later that day and I wanted to get a session of poker in before it was time for dinner.

Found a nice $6/12 game at the Mirage. Had a fellow to my right who thought he was Gus Hansen. It was quite fun having someone try to blind steal every time, only to have them fold to continued aggression on the turn and river [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was drinking while I played and by the time I left, I was on rum & coke #12 (at one point, I was double fisting. It was good times).

My friends came in and I met up with them for dinner. We went Ah Sin @ the Paris. Good food, weak drinks. Rum and coke #13 was the weakest drink yet.

The poker players in the group went off to the Alladin and played NL. I dropped a bit more when I pushed and a bigger flush called.

Afterwards, we headed off to Rain. Though it costs a bit extra, you can get passes to get past the line at http://www.vegas.com. Unless you know someone or don’t mind waiting forever in line, I recommend using vegas.com to get your tickets to the clubs.

Three double rum & coke laters, I was feeling good. The club was pretty busy, but I have seen it better. Lots of non-whores, but nothing special. This is the most I’ve drank in long time.

After closing the place, it is time for bed. I thought about playing some more at the Excalibur, but decided that since I couldn’t see the cards, it was best to wait till tomorrow.

Saturday arrives and the bad times begin. Let’s just say that dehydration sickness is not fun. Spending 8 hours retching your guts out, unable to absorb any liquids, is just horrid. I finally got it under control around 6 PM.

Feeling a bit better, I head back out. I decide to check out the Luxor and enter a tournament that they are about to start. There is a $45 entry fee, plus $3 add-on, which gets you $350 in chips with the blinds starting at 10/15. 40 person tournament, top six pay, not very tough competition. At one point, I am chip leader and get Ks7s in the big blind (blinds are 15/25).

UTG and the button call preflop, SB (2nd in chips) completes, and I check.

Flop is Jd7c7h

I check, UTG pushed (2x pot), button folds, SB pushes (4/5 my chips), I think for a while, and then call.

UTG has Jh8c
SB has 7d3h

I am a 60+% favorite to win.

Turn is 3.

River is a brick and I am down to 300 chips.

So I spend the next hour and a half playing a total of three hands and somehow manage to take 4th place.

I leave and meet up with my friends and talk them into playing at the Monte Carlo. We are all seated at the same $3/6. B1 is on my right, B2 is on my left, J is next to him, and C is at the other end of the table.

It is B1’s big blind and I live straddle. All of my friend look at me and say that I am wasting money. Bad times again. Anyways, the game is so-so, and after dropping a bunch, I end up leaving a tad under even.

I head back to the hotel for a bit of sleep before the plane ride home.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Vegas Trip Report (1/13/2005 - 1/16/2005) [Long]

Enjoyable reading. You may want to post your report to allvegas.com. He'll send you a dollar Bellagio chip and you'll be supporting a good site. You also, may want to get some help for that drinking problem.