Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 11:14 AM

Default WPT Championship Event hand

35 minutes into the WPT Championship. Blinds are 50-100, and everyone has around 50k in chips. Two limpers, you limp with KQo, button limps. Now the big blind raises to 750, everybody calls. Five to the flop.
Flop Ks6d5c. Checked around.
Turn Qs. Check, check, limper bets 3500, now you raise to 10,000. Now the button goes all in. All fold to you.
Do you call or fold?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: WPT Championship Event hand

Wow, that's a tough one. Any read at all on the Button, is he a well known pro or internet player? I'm assuming the limper folded. I figure that this is either a set or A J or 10 of spades. That's something that's pretty impossible to determine without being there. Is he the type that would make this move with the nut flush draw and a gutshot?

If the button gives you the sense that he came to gamble and make strong moves then call, if it looks like he just wants to survive, fold.

It really just comes down to a read.

Peace

Goodie
Old 04-21-2005, 11:42 AM

With no read....

My thought, since i would want to last in the tournament would be to fold. Not sure i would want to risk my stack that early. Have done it before, lost with a pair of Ks to a set of 2s on a 264 rainbow flop.

I would put the limper on a pair of kings or the straight draw (78s). However the button going all in after your 10K raise would say that he went in with a pair of 5s or 6s and he hit his set. Let these two fight it out and get out of the way.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My thought, since i would want to last in the tournament would be to fold. Not sure i would want to risk my stack that early. Have done it before, lost with a pair of Ks to a set of 2s on a 264 rainbow flop.

I would put the limper on a pair of kings or the straight draw (78s). However the button going all in after your 10K raise would say that he went in with a pair of 5s or 6s and he hit his set. Let these two fight it out and get out of the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but everyone else has folded. It is just you and the all in guy.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:52 AM

With no read, that early in the event, I'd fold. Reraise after a bet and a raise... Just sounds like trips to me.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:06 PM

This hand is pretty much the reason I dont get involved in raised pots in NLH with KQo.

Tuco.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:08 PM

Does the stacks being very large compared to the blinds make it more or less likely that the button has a set? I think much less.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:08 PM

I saw it now.. Sry.. I would still fold too much like trips and i want to live to fight another day.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
35 minutes into the WPT Championship. Blinds are 50-100, and everyone has around 50k in chips. Two limpers, you limp with KQo, button limps. Now the big blind raises to 750, everybody calls. Five to the flop.
Flop Ks6d5c. Checked around.
Turn Qs. Check, check, limper bets 3500, now you raise to 10,000. Now the button goes all in. All fold to you.
Do you call or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really have to call the big blind's preflop raise?

Assuming you do, do you really need to check along on the flop?

Assuming you needed to do these two things, raising to $10K on the turn looks great.

I'd be hard-pressed to believe you have the best hand after the button goes all-in. I'd have no problem mucking this hand, especially since it's more difficult for the button to be bluffing because it's bet by a player who might easily hold KK or QQ, and then RAISED by a player who clearly has a hand, and that hand can only be top two or better with this board.

Looks like an easy fold.

Assuming all the rest of it was necessary in the first place.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the stacks being very large compared to the blinds make it more or less likely that the button has a set? I think much less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decent players who recognize other decent players know that other decent players know this, and can easily act accordingly.