Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Game Theory and its NLHE Implications

I've heard some talk about game theory, read the small section on it in TOP, and used Wikipedia but I'm still a little shaky on exactly what it is and how and when to apply it to NLHE. I was hoping a few people could clarify for me.

In my understanding game theory is the optimal strategy that can never be optimally countered regardless to an opponents decision in terms of EV. Am I right so far? My other understanding is that game theory only really need be applied against very tough opponents, is that also correct?

I believe Sklansky's demostration in TOP involved 7stud and picking a bluffing frequency and assigning it to a range of cards for the final face down card, and bluffing when one of those cards falls. I believe the way the percentages break down your opponent can't make a +EV decision in either a call raise or fold since action is predetermined and the frequency of a bet that is either a bluff or made hand leave no optimal decision. Is this correct as well?

So how does this pertain to NLHE? My current thought would be, for example, betting 1/2 pot with a QQ overpair against a tough opponent whenever a flush card hit the river (if there is any possibility it may look like you're drawing). You believe the opponent to have an overpair as well, so you wouldn't mind a showdown or fold, but can't stand a raise. He would have to assume you would do this with a flush or with a top pocket pair (one that may beat his) as well as a bluff and leave him with a difficult decision. I understand that may not be a good example, so if it's flawed please let me know. I wouldn't be surprised if my whole understanding of the concept is off either so I won't be offended if I'm totall wrong. Is this a valid example, what are other (better) ones? Thanks all for the input.