Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: A problem with some religous views

[ QUOTE ]
Every syllogism I've ever seen has at least two premises. You draw 3 contingent conclusions from 1 premise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe its not an Aristotilian syllogism but I never claimed it was.

P is prime therefore p=2 or p is odd. Any problem with that

I find it hard to see why you care about the number of premises. If you think its not enough to guarantee the truth of the conclusion then why not just say why you think that.

chez
Old 09-22-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are assuming some premises here. You do the same with the way you have formulated the main question.

You asked me about the logic of your position. I'm trying to understand what it is.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are assuming some premises here. You do the same with the way you have formulated the main question.

You asked me about the logic of your position. I'm trying to understand what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am asking if its possible that I have that feeling and none of the three possibilities in the conclusion are true.

If you think it is possible then please say why you think that.

chez
Old 09-22-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The conclusion is true if any of A,B,C is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chez-

Now you've confused me. What conclusion are you referring to? That, since you've had this feeling, one of those 3 possibilities must be true, and that it doesn't matter which (or how many) is true? Are you asking us to simply confirm or deny that these are the only three possibilities that arise from you having this belief? Please let me know so that I can be sure we're at least talking about the same thing.

Thanks,
jester
Old 09-22-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The conclusion is true if any of A,B,C is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chez-

Now you've confused me. What conclusion are you referring to? That, since you've had this feeling, one of those 3 possibilities must be true, and that it doesn't matter which (or how many) is true? Are you asking us to simply confirm or deny that these are the only three possibilities that arise from you having this belief? Please let me know so that I can be sure we're at least talking about the same thing.

Thanks,
jester

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jester

The conclusion is that one or more of:
1) My feeling is misleading me.
2) God isn't good.
3) The religon is mistaken
are true.

I'm asking if it is possible that I have that feeling and that none of 1), 2), 3) are true.

chez
Old 09-22-2005, 07:31 PM

Ok, I think I understand you now. I would agree that one of them must be true, because it seems like you're saying "either x or not x." However, I still think there isn't a link between the statement and the conclusions; that is, I believe one of the conclusions has to be true, but that it might have nothing to do with your original statement.

For example, you say that your feeling says that since God condemns some people for nonbelief, He cannot be good. It could be that He is not good, but His lack of goodness has nothing to do with condemning people, in which case your feeling is indeed misleading you, yet B is still true. I don't know if this affects any future points you hope to make on this subject.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I think I understand you now. I would agree that one of them must be true, because it seems like you're saying "either x or not x." However, I still think there isn't a link between the statement and the conclusions; that is, I believe one of the conclusions has to be true, but that it might have nothing to do with your original statement.

For example, you say that your feeling says that since God condemns some people for nonbelief, He cannot be good. It could be that He is not good, but His lack of goodness has nothing to do with condemning people, in which case your feeling is indeed misleading you, yet B is still true. I don't know if this affects any future points you hope to make on this subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I understand what your saying then its not a problem. As long as its impossible that the conclusion is false when the premise is true.

I'm a bit worried that you say there isn't a link between premise and conclusions. Surely if the premise is false then the conclusion could be true or false. Only when the premise is true must the conclusion be true.

chez
Old 09-22-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No, I am asking if its possible that I have that feeling and none of the three possibilities in the conclusion are true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Statement 1.

My moral sense tells me that God isn't good

Statement 1a.

I am being deceived by my feelings of right and wrong,

False = feelings are true = God isn't good.
True = feelings are false = God is good. You could feel that God isn't good even though God doesn't exist so you should have an "if" in there somewhere.

Statement 1b.

God isn't good,

False = God is good = feelings are false.
True = God isn't good = feelings are true.

Statement 1c.

The religous view is mistaken.

I don't think this affects the first two.

If 1a is false so that your feelings are true then 1b can't also be false.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Statement 1.

My moral sense tells me that God isn't good

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we might be getting there but your statement 1 is not my premise.

The premise is:

My moral sense tells me that a god who enforces this view (the one in the statement) is morally repugnant.

That's why the third option of the religon (that claims the statement is true) being mistaken is needed.

So with the correct premise, is it possible the I do have that moral feeling and none of the three possibilities in the conclusion are true.

chez
Old 09-22-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So with the correct premise, is it possible the I do have that moral feeling and none of the three possibilities in the conclusion are true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I can see.