Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2003, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Stu Ungar movie?

No one said they shouldn't be accountable. In fact part of the recovery process is taking responsibility for the wrongs they hav committed. One of the worst things you can do for an addict is make excuses for them and enable them. Unfortunately the people who love them have a hard time doing that. The quicker the addict hits their bottom the quicker they will seek help.

Actually Al its people like you in our society that are the problem. You take the attitude that its not your fault. That your above this because it hasn't affected you therefore eff em they are on their own. I sincerely hope that you have no children that get mixed up in this. That it never darkens your door. I truly do. Its a horrible thing for the addict and the family. Everyone suffers. But if it ever does Al I hope you take the time to educate yourself on the subject. You are way in the dark here.

Who am I? What qualifies me?
I'll tell you.........I am a 20 year recovering addict. Clean and sober 20 years now and still recovering. My recovery is a day to day thing. I will never be cured. Thats terminal pal. I have sponsered numerous recovering addicts in a 12 step program. Some made it, most don't. Like poker you can't beat statistics. I have worked part time as an addiction counselor the past 10 years. I shouldn'y say worked as I have gotten no pay. My reward is the constant reminder that but for the grace of God there go I.

The drug itself isn't the problem Al. That is the symptom. Whats the problem? Complex question. Could be many things. Common is a sense of being unique of never fitting in. The inability to cope with life on a day to day basis. Of not being able to let go and wanting to control everyone and everything and failing miserably at it.

Well enough of that. Don't want to turn this into an NA meeting. Funny Al how you can tell someone they should educate themselves before they spout off yet you have blown long and hard on an issue you are totally ignorant of. Perhaps you should take your own advice.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:44 PM

'Could be many things. Common is a sense of being unique of never fitting in. The inability to cope with life on a day to day basis. Of not being able to let go and wanting to control everyone and everything and failing miserably at it. '

honestly ive got all that. ive actually considered going to a AA meeting or something like that but figured that if they found out i wasnt addicted to alchohol or whatever everybody would be really mad.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Give Al a break

Drug addicts love to say its a disease they have no control over .WRONG.Every single drug addict went down a long spiral staircase of decline and had many chances to turn back.They made the concious choices to continue BEFORE they were completly out of control.BI AL HAS IT RIGHT.Find the right misguided and naive thinking individuals and they will defend anyone no matter how indefensible the position.I ask those that defend,would your outlook be the same if you had been the one that staked STU to a WSOP main event only to have him no show cuz hes upstairs smokin coke.I dont buy into any of it ,The "Stuey legend " or any thing else.Didnt know him personally but sounds like a total DEGENERATE to me.BIG AL may have ruffled feathers in his delivery,but hes got my vote on this one.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:09 AM

Default Nothing Wrong With Asking To Be Staked At WSOP...

..after all, Stu was when he won in '97! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

BTW, in case anyone's curious, Mr. Manhattan and I have exchanged PM's, and we're all cool.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:38 AM

I agree completely with you Al. This is what is wrong with this society. We fail to place blame where it belongs - on the person who made the decision. Instead, we attatch some disease or syndrome or whatever to account for their actions. It is ridiculous. Comparing cancer to a drug addiction is ridiculous too. Frankly, I get tied of listening to that type of bullshit liberal thinking.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Nothing Wrong With Asking To Be Staked At WSOP...

yes bill,thx for the post......i will say i sorry to big al to.it was juvenile to say fat al...as for how i would feel if it was my $$ sponsoring him for the WSOP,i would never have left that man alone...i would have nursed and babysitted him for 1 week prior to him playing....kept him at my house not at binions...I realize doyle and slim and others have no time to suffer fools and had no exp.living and growing up in a drug ridden community. there was a hotel owner who built the tallest bldg in nevada who had a very bad addiction and he overcame it..you all are good buds? i also believe stuey was exploited way to much......i think we all have valid points.still if u have never been personally involved w/drug addicted friends a and family.......well enuff of this b.s. shut up and deal.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Give Al a break

my vote too.....i'd win the wsop with cobalt blue glasses too.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:42 AM

stu ungar is far from a success in life. he was a disgusting individual.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:32 PM

"he was a disgusting individual"

And you are basing this statement on what?

Did you actually know him? Did you travel around w/ him on one of those side cars for motorcycles or something?

Ryan_21
Old 03-16-2003, 11:13 PM

I talked to Andy Bellin about the film not too long ago (November, maybe?)...I don't remember the conversation exactly, but I think the gist of it was that the script needed some serious re-writing and some subsequent re-shooting. I think he was involved with the re-write part. He expressed some concerns about the story's 'authenticity' as well, but also made mention of the fact that they had to put together some kind of linear narrative as well as find an audience for the film. Nobody ever made money with a film made solely for fat humps like us ;-).