Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 05:27 PM

Default capping pf, after you\'re 3-bet by later position TAG

I've just noticed that I do not cap pf very often when oop. Specifically, I raise mp with something like A10o, button 3-bets, the others fold, then I typically just call.

Assume the button is a "TAG," who might try and isolate with a wide variety of hands, and that he is also capable of being very aggressive post-flop, yet at the same time he is capable of folding AK in the face of continued aggression.

Should I be capping here pf, in order to gain the initiative, rather than taking my typical just call approach?

Or is this simply one of those "mix it up" scenarios?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: capping pf, after you\'re 3-bet by later position TAG

I don't like capping ATo, under your scenario, I would much rather cap 77, or QJs.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:54 PM

this is entirely a metagame consideration. obviously the cap is not for value. it all comes down to how light this TAG has been 3-betting you, and how long you have played with him. there's no reason to "mix it up" if he doesn't even know how you play yet.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:42 PM

I don't think this is entirely for metagame purposes, but also for the sake of figuring out how to play the individual hand against the TAG.

I agree that the cap is not for value, as I assume a Tag is 3-betting here with pocket pairs and AK, AQ, and perhaps KQs, QJs. But because this opponent (at least the way I've described him) is capable of folding AK, the preflop cap might provide some advantage.

Again, I haven't been capping here, but just contemplating whether the possible benefit might be worth it, not even taking into account metagame factors.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:53 AM

Modest bump for the weekday group.

And while I'm here, tell me if I'm correct that this forum seems to get a lot less traffic during the week. (Or maybe my threads are just less interesting during the weekend).
Old 12-12-2005, 11:56 AM

I never cap A10 vs a TAG. Remember what that "T" stands for. AGainst a LAG.. sure I will cap it.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:12 PM

IMO you will see a button 3 bet with a wide range of hands from 22 to A3s among monsters ofcourse. I dont 3 bet with these but I have seen it alot in my games. If the player is capable of folding slick UI to aggression then capping might not be a bad idea and lead flop and turn if no royalty come out. I remember reading a post sometime ago I would have to search for it, but the idea was proposed about a hand that you think is strong enough to cap preflop OOP but are unsure of how to take control after being 3 bet preflop. In that post I agreed with 1 scenerio. They debated over calling preflop and calling flop and maybe a fold on turn or something like that with AJs. What I like especially if someone has 3 bet me a few times while I am OOP then use the flop to take control. Another words call the 3 bet preflop and auto check raise the flop and bet turn. This will give your hand more deception and let the PF3 know he is going start facing some strong aggression. The whole thing behind the flop check raise is that it carries more weight than a cap preflop because that indicates that you hit something on the flop or you are not afraid of the cards on flop and when you turn bet it would tell this guy that you are strong enough to see a SD even though there are times you dont improve on flop or turn, but you want to instill that thinking or fear in the PF3. By always calling when you get 3 bet preflop shows weakness that will be exploited and at some point you have to make a stand and show those TAGS you will play back at them.