Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 07:28 PM

Default Decision time

I'm still thinking about what the right play was below. I had just lost a decent pot & was now faced with the tough decision because I had such a small stack.

$30 1-table SNG
Payouts: 1st - $150, 2nd - $90, 3rd - $60
5 people left & I'm the short-stack with just over 3BB before putting in my SB of 100.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter

Button (t2710)
Hero (t685)
BB (t760)
UTG (t2705)
MP (t1140)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t525
There is 825 in the pot
Action to Hero...
Old 12-11-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Decision time

Fold. With 585 left you'll still have folding equity against typical players, and QT versus a raiser isn't a very good spot. Consider that the button must have known it was likely that he would be called. I would fold and then raise allin the next time it's folded to me.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:54 PM

That is a close call, that would come down to my read on the button. Does he blind steal a lot? Ever seen him do it with garabage? If yes then I'd call him otherwise fold.

Pushing is +EV chip against a wide range of blind stealing hands. However, there are a lot of hands you would be dominated against, A10, KQ and even QJ come to mind. If it is + $EV and I don't have a clue. Having 1570TC is obviously a lot better for getting ITM than folding with 585TC.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:46 PM

Easy fold. Fold KQ and lower, TT and lower. QT isn't even close. Are you hoping he's raising Qx? Not unless he's a total maniac. You're behing a small pocket pair, not that far ahead small suited connectors, and behind Kx.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:27 AM

he KNOWS he's going to be behind, but the question was, is he going to have enough chips to have a chance, or should he take a likely 40% shot at more than doubling up. It's a really close call. The thing is, if it's folded to you in sb next hand, you can push, and get called by almost anything, especially considering the stack size of the guy next to you. So let's say you get rags in the sb (or someone else raises), you are now left with 450 chips with 100/200 blinds, and you have 3 hands to get a hand that's pushable, and hope you either a) don't get called, or b) win the tossup. It's probably worth taking a gamble and hoping for a low pocket pair.