Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Does Greg have backers this time?

If Greg wins the ME again this year will he get the full 7.5 million? Or did he sell or swap pieces of himself?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Does Greg have backers this time?

I thought he won the seat on PokerStars this year.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought he won the seat on PokerStars this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually wondering this myself. Do the pros that are sponsored by the poker websites have to get in on their own, or does the site sponsor them in (Raymer and Moneymaker at Stars; Lederer, Ivey, etc at Full Tilt; Sexton at Party)?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:38 PM

he won a seat last year as well but sold "stock" in himself thus making David Williams the quote on quote big winner. Odds are Backers are going to leave you better off unless you cash pretty high and I guess Greg wasn't 100% confident in his tourney win, thus the backing. I doubt with all the money he won last year and has won, that he would need to back himself again. He might have been sponsored by PS as well if he didnt buy directly in.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:52 PM

according to previous posts Greg has made...to the best of my recollection...

he's an endorser of Pokerstars - part of the PS team, as it were. As a result, Pokerstars gives him a fund from which he can enter various tournaments and do so as an endorser of Pokerstars (meaning he wears those shirts)

I suspect he didn't win his seat this yr....he simply used Pokerstars funds..

Wil Wheaton joined the PS Team of pros this yr. and they paid his entry fee - simple as that - and while playing, he was always photographed in a PS shirt...

RB
Old 07-11-2005, 04:02 PM

I was wondering if this is how he got his buy-in...

Obviously he could afford the $10K but it seems that a freeroll on PokerStars money would be a pretty nice gig. While not improbable it seems that it would be potentially costly (time and money-wise) to try to re-satellite back into the WSOP when there are so many opportunites to use your name recognition.

Plus with all the free shirts, you don't have to pack as much in your suitcase on the plane over...

On the flip side, $20K bought PokerStars a lot of advertising time on ESPN between Raymer and Moneymaker
Old 07-11-2005, 04:10 PM

Greg has said that while Pokerstars gives him money to enter tournaments, he was playing the Double Shootouts so that he could win his way to the WSOP and thus use the Stars money on other tournaments that he wouldn't be able to simply win a double shoot out into.

He had been playing a number of them, so I've got to assume he won one.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he won a seat last year as well but sold "stock" in himself thus making David Williams the quote on quote big winner. Odds are Backers are going to leave you better off unless you cash pretty high and I guess Greg wasn't 100% confident in his tourney win, thus the backing. I doubt with all the money he won last year and has won, that he would need to back himself again. He might have been sponsored by PS as well if he didnt buy directly in.

[/ QUOTE ]

About the part in bold, given the nature of the backing deal he had in place, this is a really nonsensical statement, unless you are talking about him being backed this year, rather than last.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that he wasn't a hundred percent confident that he would win going into it...

--Zetack
Old 07-11-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that David Williams didn't sell a large piece of himself? Oh that's right, you don't.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:22 PM

He won his seat on Stars last year as well, but the money he used was all part of a pool of money a large percentage of which was provided by his backers. His deal with his backers ended with last year's WSOP. If I recall correctly, it would have ended whether he moneyed or not. The main reason he asked for backers in the first place was that his bankroll had taken a hit. Presumably, flush with cash from his win, he's bankrolling himself as I believe he has indicated. On top of that, Stars pays some of his buy-ins as part of his compensation package as a representative of that site.