Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2003, 06:24 PM

Default Re: If poker is your full time job, what do you tell people?

In a strange way, I agree with both sides of this issue.

I think it can be awkward in certain situations explaining that you are making your income doing something like playing poker (either online or b&m)...especially to parents or other judgemental friends and relatives who don't know that there's a difference betwen doing that and trying to make your income playing slot machines .
I would stick with the whole internet-consultant lie or something like that to keep them happy.

As far as chicks are concerned...I'm 32, short, baldING (leaning towards bald) and not exactly in shape (although I wouldn't say i'm overweight).
For awhile, when I girl asked what I did I would reply "I'm unemployed. Absolutely Nothing..." or something like that. I was doing pretty well in the whole 'get some tail' scene. Making the girl laugh is far more important than raking in $500K a year...unless you actually have an interest in the type of girl that would be turned on by that. In this regard, I am in full agreement with Jimbo (which is quite surprising considering the magnitude of our disagreement when we last clashed posting-swords).

After chasing tail for awhile I am in the process of settling down...or last am pretty serious...with a terrific girl who's also pretty hot (at least imo) who could care less that I'm unemployed and really doesn't mind in the least that I am contemplating pursuing the poker-thing on a more full-time basis once I get the necessary bankroll.
She has previously dated guys with normal, successful careers. But I am certain we have something pretty genuine....because I definately know she's not after me for my money or my hair...because I have precious little of each.
Now, if you don't have a decent sense of humour or a general idea of what you want or are looking for in life, then I can't really help you too much on the girl-scene.

To Jimbo and his 20-something chasing ways....More power to ya dude!!
Old 06-17-2003, 02:37 PM

Hi Artist,

wow. What a post. Well, I guess I liked it very much, because it mirrors my situation in about 3 months from now.
By then I will have graduated from the most prestigious Business School in Germany and will be on the road, travelling through Europe, playing Poker.

At least I will have the excuse of "travelling and broadening my horizon"...lol.

Anyway, I think lying will only get you so far. I guess it will be ok for just picking up a girl, but it certainly is not going to work for a longtime relationship (or even the start of one).

Why not use the "disadvantage" and turn it into an advantage? Girls like the mysterious, and while online poker certainly isn't that mysterious, being a professional poker player has its charms; it is just a question of selling it the way it should be.
Mystery, romance, adventure, risk taking, out of the ordinary AND a decent paycheck to boost cannot be that bad, can it?

Although family and friends will probably not see it that way...
I know I have tried to explain my hobby to my parents, and they never really gave themselves a chance to understand. Luckily, our relationship is so good, that they at least support me, even if they don't like it. Makes for some interesting discussions, though.

I think it could be a GREAT choice in life, if you are good enough to earn sufficient money. And boy, just think of the stories you can tell when you are 80 years old...better than selling insurance, working as an investment banker or consultant! At least, I think so.

Greets, and good luck,

Erd.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:33 PM

Did I read the above right? $500/month? Thats what you call earning a living? If I were anorexic and lived with my parents I couldnt survive on that!
Old 06-17-2003, 09:50 PM

Remember that he was in school at the time...so (I'm guessing) he had room/board paid for already. $500 to a college student is like winning the lottery (I should know as I'd probably sell a kidney for $500 at this point).

peace,
jHE

PS- Oh yeah, the topic...just tell them you're a professional poker player and be done with it. If I were ever to get to that point (which won't be anytime soon seeing as how I play $1/2) that's what I would do. Your parents will forgive you, your friends will either deal with it or they weren't your friends in the first place..anyone else? Who cares...if they won't accept you as who you are do you really want to get to know them?

PPS - If you're just looking to bang some chick "internet risk consultant" sounds way too nerdy...tell them you work construction, chicks dig manly jobs.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:58 AM

Just tell them that you are manager for an Internet investment project doing many small shorttermed investments based on fast calculations with a speed of at least 100 to 400 decisions per hour (guess you play at least two tables).

Investment in what you will be asked.

Your answer: Mainly entertainingindustry and the area regarding human ressource (psycology) and scientific recearch (math).

Then you will get the 19 years old too and you haven't told a lie.

Good luck
Chr.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:19 AM

Does it really matter, are you ashamed of it??

If you some asks you what do you do for a living be honest tell them you play poker for a living. And if the turn their noses up at you and give you a look as if to say your a "degenerate gambler" F*CK EM!!!!! Life is to short to spend it worring about what other people think....thats just my 2 cents.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:05 PM

If both sides get what they want, it's an efficient market.

EXACTLY!
Old 06-18-2003, 08:06 PM

Hi Copernicus

I am just guessing you were not replying to my post, but the original one?

Greets, Erd.

PS: what is anorexic?
Old 06-19-2003, 03:06 PM

Anorexic = model thin, ie you dont eat!

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2003, 04:11 PM

Judging by your picture, you are not too bald, and I am SURE it is the tounge they are after not the money [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]