Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 04:32 PM

Default 5/5 NL at Woods: What is Villian Doing?

This hand happened last night in the 5/5 game at the Woods. I found Villian's play very odd. What do you put him on and how do you play it? I have never seen Villian before and here is all the information I have: he just bought in for $1000 (on the short side for that game), declined to post in middle position and waited two hands before posting his BB. He folded his BB to a raise. He is now in the SB and this is the second hand he has been dealt. I have him covered.

Pre-Flop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP3. UTG limps and a very bad player in MP2 raises to $20. Hero re-raises to $60. Folded to Villian in SB who flat calls the $60 (an additional $55 for him). UTG folds, bad MP2 calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian checks, bad player checks, Hero bets $125, Villian check-raises to $250, bad player folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

Villian checks.

Huh? I found the min check raise on the flop followed by a check on the turn very strange. If he had something that would beat AK wouldn't he bet out on the turn? Similarly, wouldn't he bet again with any Ace if he was putting me on KK or QQ? It seemed like a dopey min raise to get a free card with a drawing hand but he was out of position, so that didn't make any sense.

I decided the check meant weakness, not trickiness so I bet $400. My reasoning was (a) maybe he really was trying to get a free card on on draw out of position; or (b) maybe his c/r had been a bluff representing an Ace on the theory that I had KK/QQ and that he was now giving it up since I had called; and (c) if he really is outplaying me and check-raises (again) all in for his last $350 I may still have outs and I'll probably pay him off. Comments on this reasoning?

Somewhat to my surprise, he just calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

Villian checks. As noted, he has $350 left.

Action?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: 5/5 NL at Woods: What is Villian Doing?

I think he was trying to see if you had an ace/would fold as cheaply as possible. I've sometimes seen this as the flush draw too. I have never seen a set check-minraise the flop and then check the turn. I fire here 100% of the time, when he calls it looks like maybe he is being stubborn with an ace or is still on the draw (if he is bad enough to call with it, though it sounds like he isn't given your description of not posting etc...) I don't feel so good when he calls this turn, I'm probably being weak but I check this river.

As for your comment, about calling the check-raise cause you still have outs, I count 3, not something I'm happy about when calling a check-raise on the turn....
Old 07-10-2005, 05:08 PM

I'd definitely check the river. Unless he is a moron, the only hands that he will not fold will have you beat, so you don't make any money raising. I am not sure, though, what his hand might be. His actions don't quite make sense.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for your comment, about calling the check-raise cause you still have outs, I count 3, not something I'm happy about when calling a check-raise on the turn....

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there are 2 Aces, 3 Queens that don't make a flush for 5 clean outs. The 4th Queen may be an out if he has a set or two pair. The other three kings are outs if he has two pair. [As for two pair, I think you have to at least consider the possibility that he has AJs, ATs or JTs, although none would have been the greatest pf call in the history of poker.]
Old 07-10-2005, 07:04 PM

I don't think two pair check-raises this turn, that's why I'm saying if he check-raises you only have the Q as outs...
Old 07-10-2005, 07:08 PM

Ok, now I see. Probably a good point. And the Aces are no good 'cause it fills him up if he has a set or AJ, AT. I probably overvalued my hand.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:03 PM

Results: I checked behind and tabled my AK. He mucked. I still wonder what he had. AQ?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:16 PM

i think he either had A Q ... or a straight with a flush draw. maybe K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:22 PM

Check behind. Dont complicate your life and leave yourself open to a reraise. This is possible a trap or a missed flush. SO your either crushed or you wont get a call. In my oppinion checking here is best as you are confused and you get valuble info about your oppent. This is poker and info has a cost and in this case the cost is prob the value bet on the river.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:25 PM

He has way less than the pot left, there will be no raise on the river.