Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Is it this simple to prove the bible inaccurate?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is also why the theory of elvolution doesn't rock my belief in God because the Bible says God created man in his own image, but it doesn't say how he did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to read your Bible. Start with Genesis chp. 2 v. 7:

"Then the Lord God took some soil from the ground and formed a man out of it; he breathed life-giving breath into his nostrils and the man began to live". (Good News Bible)

Follow that with Genesis Chp. 2 v. 21-22 (Good News Bible):

"Then the Lord God made the man fall into a deep sleep, and while he was sleeping, he took out one of the man's ribs and closed up the flesh. He formed a woman out of the rib and brought her to him.

-The Lord God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't this be interpreted on the molecular level meaning that god was able to make man out the same material he made the earth?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't this be interpreted on the molecular level meaning that god was able to make man out the same material he made the earth?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Genesis, man was created spontaneously from 'soil' and woman was fashioned in like manner from bone matter, purloined from the man. A rather quizzical way to constructed beings.

I was pointing out the inconsistent conclusion of the previous poster - the evolution of a species takes a god awful amount of time, progressing through various forms and never being in a static condition but always in a state of flux, and thus the very opposite of the way the Lord God is said to go about it in Chapter two of Genesis.

As far as the subject of 'interpretation', I should think that you are free to interpret the Bible in any way you see fit. Even basing your interpretations on whatever evidence you can reconstruct about the making of this most marvelous book. Others that post here on this forum will no doubt take exception to such a heretical stance.

-Zeno
Old 06-28-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the subject of 'interpretation', I should think that you are free to interpret the Bible in any way you see fit. Even basing your interpretations on whatever evidence you can reconstruct about the making of this most marvelous book. Others that post here on this forum will no doubt take exception to such a heretical stance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most theologians recognize the creation story in Genesis as something that shouldnt be literally interpreted. There are other parts of the Bible that are believed to have very specific meanings. Much is left open to personal interpretation.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is also why the theory of elvolution doesn't rock my belief in God because the Bible says God created man in his own image, but it doesn't say how he did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Then the Lord God took some soil from the ground and formed a man out of it; he breathed life-giving breath into his nostrils and the man began to live". (Good News Bible)

"Then the Lord God made the man fall into a deep sleep, and while he was sleeping, he took out one of the man's ribs and closed up the flesh. He formed a woman out of the rib and brought her to him.

-The Lord God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand how that contradicts what I said. I think you take great liberties with those passages to assume the length of time God took to create man from soil is instantanous by our standards of time.

I think that is why the passage I stated about a day on Earth being LIKE a thousand years in Heaven shows us that our perception of time and the calendar is not necessarily how in applies to God. Now I know that reference in context refers to the after life but I think it is good reason why trying to place God in our time/space constraints is not good reasoning.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-The Lord God.

[/ QUOTE ]

TEH PWN3D

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude are you serious. I think you should be looking for a Video Game or D&D message board with that nonsense. Next you are going to call me a noob.

But let me ask you a question: Do you think TO ever catches a touchdown and gets up and says: "I pwned you".
Old 06-29-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to Genesis, man was created spontaneously from 'soil' and woman was fashioned in like manner from bone matter, purloined from the man. A rather quizzical way to constructed beings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh, obviously He created man from "soil", ie. from molecular matter etc. Then once he has one working copy of man, he only needs a small organic sample from him, modify the DNA a bit and create woman. Why create woman brand new from molecular matter again? This is much more energy efficient.

Oh and those Peru settlements are actually vestiges from Earth v 0.99b, also known as Earth Open Beta version.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-The Lord God.

[/ QUOTE ]

TEH PWN3D

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude are you serious. I think you should be looking for a Video Game or D&D message board with that nonsense. Next you are going to call me a noob.

But let me ask you a question: Do you think TO ever catches a touchdown and gets up and says: "I pwned you".

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like someone needs their bottle. Or a level 7 charm spell.

<does Ray Lewis dance>
Old 06-30-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-The Lord God.

[/ QUOTE ]

TEH PWN3D

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay, Rudman is sorta a geek [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-The Lord God.

[/ QUOTE ]

TEH PWN3D

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay, Rudman is sorta a geek [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A "ladies geek" to be exact.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the bible was the word of Christ not his father??

[/ QUOTE ]

They are one and the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

The line reads "I go to your Father and to your God, and to my Father, and to my God"---Christ.

Paraphrased: "I go to my God and to my God." Or: "I go to myself, and myself". That makes no sense. Redundancy from a savior? I think not. Must be something else, if this dog is going to hunt...

The original Hebrew translation contains more meanings than the words "adam", "breathe"---as in "God breathed life into Adam"---and "dust", for example, can convey in English. The word "Father" has other meanings as well. A great amount of meaning is lost in translation...

God > Father > Christ , not "God = Father = Christ"

Jehovah and Lucifer are in a tug-of-war contest, or maybe it was Yaweh and Satan, and I am but the rope. No, wait, there is only one "I am", I can't declare my own "I am-ness", can't even state my own existence...I was created into sin and created flawed. I better be good or else Daddy will punish me. But, He forgives all. "You are bad, but I forgive you"---how divine...

Quite clever, fill a book with many contradictions, thereby giving a person a ton of out's...