Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Is it this simple to prove the bible inaccurate?

[ QUOTE ]
Now if the Bible had definitive claims or the Church had definitive claims in this area, than yes it would definitely raise some questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone's interpretation of the bible as it saying that Adam was over 10k years ago. That's still over 2.5k years short of the Chile ruins PLUS migration time (and who knows how long it takes to migrate from Iraq to Chile?) I think this does raise some serious questions, and I'm wondering why there aren't some stock defenses to this. Nothing so far has seemed remotely logical.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:58 PM

noah put all the animals on a ship, floated up the polar regions, were frozen in ice for millions of years. dinosaurs were created and roamed the earth. they all died. meteor hit the earth, messed up some climates and such, noah and the animals unfreeze, float back down to land not realizing what happened and the human race continues.

(my own bs christian theory that i just created on the fly. wham! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )
Old 06-26-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
think you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone's interpretation of the bible as it saying that Adam was over 10k years ago. That's still over 2.5k years short of the Chile ruins PLUS migration time (and who knows how long it takes to migrate from Iraq to Chile?) I think this does raise some serious questions, and I'm wondering why there aren't some stock defenses to this. Nothing so far has seemed remotely logical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the point. Most theologians dont care when Adam actually came to be. Thats not what is important. And as I said, as far as I know the Church doenst hold any official opinion or teaching on the actual time of the origin of man. You are trying to set this up as a refutation of something most religious people dont believe or care about, that is the age of human civilization.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
think you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone's interpretation of the bible as it saying that Adam was over 10k years ago. That's still over 2.5k years short of the Chile ruins PLUS migration time (and who knows how long it takes to migrate from Iraq to Chile?) I think this does raise some serious questions, and I'm wondering why there aren't some stock defenses to this. Nothing so far has seemed remotely logical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the point. Most theologians dont care when Adam actually came to be. Thats not what is important. And as I said, as far as I know the Church doenst hold any official opinion or teaching on the actual time of the origin of man. You are trying to set this up as a refutation of something most religious people dont believe or care about, that is the age of human civilization.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you actually missed the point. The Bible is wrong. You keep saying "The Church" doesn't have an opinion on this, but you really need to be looking at the Bible's opinion on this. It appears to be blatantly wrong. Now, if you don't want to care about this, that's fine, but it still doesn't change the fact that the book your religion is built on, has a glaring error.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:22 AM

the church has no stance on the issue and people dont care because they dont have a defense against this, so they ignore it entirely. the church, its followers and anything else run by man has no bearing on the validity of the bible. its already obvious that man and church has corrupted the bible.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:25 AM

You have yet to show that the Bible claims that the Earth is x number of years old. I saw exactly one source on this, which was the website where one guy tried to extrapolate a chronology from the Bible. The Bible makes no claim as to the exact moment of the beginning of mankind. Its really that simple.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:30 AM

... you can safely assume you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out God hates all the same people you do)”

taken from Anne Lamott from Bird by Bird - Not her quote.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... you can safely assume you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out God hates all the same people you do)”

taken from Anne Lamott from Bird by Bird - Not her quote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well good thing most Christians dont think God hates anyone.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have yet to show that the Bible claims that the Earth is x number of years old. I saw exactly one source on this, which was the website where one guy tried to extrapolate a chronology from the Bible. The Bible makes no claim as to the exact moment of the beginning of mankind. Its really that simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam to Noah: 874 years, Genesis 5
Noah to Abraham: 790, Genesis 11
55 more generations to Christ. I'll even be generous and give you 40 years between generations. Another 2,200. Genealogy
Total: 3,864 BC, 2005 after = 5,869.

Your book appears to have at least one glaring error.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam to Noah: 874 years, Genesis 5
Noah to Abraham: 790, Genesis 11
55 more generations to Christ. I'll even be generous and give you 40 years between generations. Another 2,200. Genealogy
Total: 3,864 BC, 2005 after = 5,869.

Your book appears to have at least one glaring error.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, thats your interpretation of what the Bible means.