Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 05:14 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Re: My solution to cleaning up the Zoo (and 2+2)

[ QUOTE ]
This method of moderation, while possibly prefarable, does not appear to be a fit for 2+2.

From what I read, it seems this involves a group of moderators. Mason has said that he doesn't want to add additional moderators due to the finicky nature of things. So, unfortunately this option probably won't fly for us.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at it closely, what they're referring to as "moderation" is actually a post rating system, which is what you're proposing. It's not about giving someone the power to delete posts and ban users; it's about giving some number of people a few points to spend on rating posts. They can spend all of them on one post, or they can spread them out. The "karma" scores are analogous to your weighting system; the more "good" posts you put out (i.e., that other people have awarded points to), the better your karma gets (plus newbies don't get the opportunity to rate anyone else's posts; they say that the newest N thousand are ineligible to be "moderators" - again, in their usage; it really means "post graders" - but we could make it time/post-based instead), and the more likely you are given the ability to rate posts; the more negative ratings you get, the lower your karma gets (with a low enough karma, you don't get the opportunity to rate any posts). And the actual moderators can cripple someone's karma if they're caught abusing the system.

-Mike (who uses way too many parentheses)
Old 09-22-2004, 05:17 PM

What would you rate a poster who layed this fried egg down on this board?

[ QUOTE ]
Does Choice owe you money? No worries!
#743022 - 06/09/04 08:14 PM Edit Reply Quote

As you all know, I'm hardly a Choice Poker fan. However, I have it on good word that all players who are owed money by Choice, will be paid off reasonably soon. I'm sorry I can't give out more info (as I don't want to betray any trust) but thought that this should brighten some peoples' day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-22-2004, 05:24 PM

Ratings encourage groupthink, not discussion.

Also, if you want the forum not to have visitors, instead only valuing the opinions of long-time posters, just turn off the registration feature and do it the right way.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:26 PM

seems like a pretty geeky idea to me, no offence.

im quite capeable of juding a users worth on his posts, rather than by some number that has been asigned to him or her.

why was this feature removed the first time around? what do you hope bringing it back will achive?
Old 09-22-2004, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Mike (who uses way too many parentheses)

[/ QUOTE ]

parentheses are totally underrated (I won't put some useless sentence in parens just to be clever here, i promise)

-sossman
Old 09-22-2004, 05:28 PM

I made the mistake in thinking that the owner of a good sized software company was either competent or honest. I'm not sure which quality failed there, but either way, the result is the same. I ended up looking like a jackass who believes supposedly respectable people too easily. I certainly learned my lesson there, and will be much more skeptical in the future.

Rate me however you so desire.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:34 PM

why was this feature removed the first time around? what do you hope bringing it back will achive?

These two questions are answered in the original post.

Lori
Old 09-22-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Charge Money I Say...

I think you have a great plan. My plan was to charge $5 a month as a membership, the trolls would definately scatter and to me it's well worth the money because of the knowledge gained. Just my two cents.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:43 PM

Try humility instead of ego. Who gives a [censored] how many posts you or I have made? I have been here for 6+ years actually. moving, new isp, old names passwords, etc...so what. I know many players that have played for many many tears for a living that either dont have a cpu or care to have, or give 2 cents about this forum yet if they should happen to come here you would "rate" the value of those opinions as idiotic because they are new.

There is no benefit to "rating". Take what you read here on the forums that you like with you, leave what you dont like. Make your own decisions, think for yourself after hearing/reading the thoughts of others on topics as it relates to you and your style/questions.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ratings encourage groupthink, not discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is your idea of discussion, then it's obvious your words should be given a great deal of weight.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you want the forum not to have visitors, instead only valuing theopinions of long-time posters, just turn off the registration feature and do it the right way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. And to think that if we did close the registration a measley 3 weeks ago, you wouldn't be here to speak for me. What an awful thought.