Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Don\'t read if you hate dumb posts. How do I win MTT?

Ok, I play shorthanded low limit holdem. However, I'm contemplating putting in any extra time into my NL game. I'd like to win a big MTT tournament [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. Let's say one at least on the Stars/Party weekly MTT level.

I have no NL experience. How realistic is it that I'll win one in the next 2 years? I obviously wouldn't start playing the weekly next week, so what steps do I need to take? Such as play cash games or SnGs? Devoting 20 hours a week would be optimistic.

If this is just dumb, please say so, and I'll spend my any extra time playing limit HU or full ring.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Don\'t read if you hate dumb posts. How do I win MTT?

Read HoH vol. 1&2 and play alot. That's All you need.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:10 AM

Thx, but play what? SnGs, MTTs, or cash games?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:28 AM

I think all of those are good practise, but if you want to develope your skills in MTT's, play them. Read this forum, post hands, review your play. It's not easy to win big MTT. Don't play over your bankroll, don't get frusrated if you don't hit the big one soon. Read all the sticky posts here, you'll find some great information.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to win a big MTT tournament [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. Let's say one at least on the Stars/Party weekly MTT level.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about the $500k/$350k guaranteed Sunday tourneys?

If you are, it's really not that hard. With about 3,000 players signing up every Sunday on Stars your chance of winning any one of these is 1/3,000 times the factor by which you're worse than the host of generally strong players making the top 3 or 4 tables every week. There are certainly some lucky donks in between, but they are there because they get ridiculously lucky, and you're going to have a hard time competing with them.

If you have two years to accomplish your goal you'll be playing approximately 100 of these tournaments. So we're down to something like 1/3,000 * 100 * [suckyness factor] ... let me guess that you'll end up with 2% chance of winning one over the course of two years.

Adding Party as well and you might have 4% chance. This assuming that you dilligently apply yourself, learn to play for hours on end without making mistakes, pick up some good reading skills and plays, and avoid running too badly over longer periods.

EDIT: Do you think I'm too dire in my outlook? Think about how many of the regular poster here on 2+2 that have won. That's not really a lot. And boy, we have tough players posting here - a lot of them.

Maybe you'd do yourself a favor setting a more realistic and attainable goal - like making the last three tables at least once within a year. That way you'll have a decent chance of reaching your goal, and won't become quite as discouraged.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 12-29-2005, 12:26 PM

As others have said, read HOH and this board.

As for playing, I would recommend the Stars MTT SnGs, which range from 18 to 45 players (plus the $20+2 180-man). These are excellent practice for larger MTTs, since you get the full range of play in much less time. I don't know what your BR is, but it's a lot of poker for not much money.

As for winning, that's impossible to say. I think Exit said that makes the final table 2% of the time and he's quite good. So for the beginner, you're looking at a crap-load of tournaments to get close. Once you get to the FT, you gotta win, so playing about a zillion 1-table SnGs is a good idea as well; for this, Stars Turbos are best.

I've been playing a couple of years and have won one 1000+ tournament, and finished second in two; but any of those could easily have turned the other way if I come up on the short end of a coinflip on a key hand. (In the last week I've also busted third when a villain hit his 1-outer, and second when he hit his 6-outer on the river.) I think you have to be playing solid to get close, and avoid bad luck to actually win.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:27 PM

Learn NLHE first. LHE is very different than NLHE. Play both full ring and short handed at the stakes your are comfortable with.

Throw in some MTTs at buyins you are comfortable with, so you can get a feel for the differences between cash games and tourneys (mostly play that gets dictated by stack sizes, escalating blinds, and inflection points i.e. bubble etc)

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 12-29-2005, 12:33 PM

I would add Blair Rodman's and Lee Nelson's newest book, Kill Phil, to your list of books. It teaches an aggressive all in approach which would really separate yourself from the limit style of game and would help you in the early going so that you won't get outplayed by better NLHE players.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:31 PM

The bigger buy in MTT's...they aren't as hard to money in as the smaller one's... In my lowly opinion.

I've won some $20 / $30 and one $100 ( might have been $50 don't remember ) NL MTT's...

But the smaller buy in's...EVEN if you're blessed w/ GREAT CARDS, your tourney life is going to come down to a coin flip at least 5/6 times before you get to the money.

I just busted out in the top 30 of a 500some odd person MTT on PP... it's all about coin flips.

Had my KK cracked. MY flopped set cracked. My AKs romped by A4s

If you can stand playing REALLY tight / aggressive the first break or two, then you have a shot at hitting the money ALOT.

I don't mean AQos calling 3xBB pre flop UTG 'tight' either.

I was near the chip lead at the 2nd break and only say less than 15% of the flops.

I made people pay for my good hands.

Then if you have any chips at all...right before the bubble, when it normally goes hand for hand... Get aggressive...taking in account position, players etc. small and medium stacks especially...they just want to make the money.... And once they do, be ready for ALOT of short stack all in's...at this point I rarely play a hand unless it's a monster.

a few orbits after this, it settles down a bit...then it's a race to not be blinded out.

HTH ...

Again just my lowly opinion.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:56 PM

I did it a little backwards. Started playing limit, bonus whoring, etc. Found out I love tournament poker. Donked it up in the micro 'stars tournaments. Learned how to play STT. Read HoH1/2. Proceed to beat the micro 'stars tournaments.

My best week playing those so far has been 1st, two 2nds (one was a good chop for me with only $20 left to play for) and a 4th playing about 40 of the $1-$3 'stars MTT. That was a good week indeed.

Now I'm taking a shot at the $22 180player SnGs on 'stars. C'mon variance, I need some help here!