Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Checking my sanity overfull on turn.

Dont have the hand history, a little hazy but has the basic info...

I get A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB. A few ep limpers, sb completes.

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check, EP bets 1.25 or so pot, some callers, I checkraise the pot to 9.7. , EP1 calls, everyone else folds.

Turn is another Jack. Pot is around 29$, you have 15$ left, is there a player on here who folds this?

I checkraise too much in PLO too I think, any better line with this?
Old 09-03-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Checking my sanity overfull on turn.

You got to mix it up. Sometimes you hit and sometimes you don't. The times you don't, you don't want to give it away by C/R. Obviously you were out of position, but if you are really afraid of quads this hand, then it looks like you have a problem. Its just something your gonna have to pay off when you got the overfull unless you are %100 sure that he has quads. In which case I don't see that you can be.

I would come out betting more too with the nuts. People might not see it and call or even raise you thinking they have the nuts. Just mix it up.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is there a player on here who folds this?

[/ QUOTE ]

God I hope not.

I think the Q about c/r is a good one but I just want to warn you that you should be careful about posting disguised bad beats (if that's what this is) as some people will give you a hard time about it.

When I'm not multi-tabling in a bunch of juicy games I want to take the time to respond to the c/r question. I've been thinking about the c/r in PLO a bit lately.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:57 AM

I would probably fold it in a live game if the other play accidentally flashed me two jacks. If the stacks were very very deep, and I know the villain is not reraising me without quads, I may consider folding.

As for the question about checkraising, I think checkraising is a strong move in these low limit games. You will be paid off by small sets and two pair often enough to make the c/r a very profitable move.

As you move up, you will find that the check-raise most often wins you the pot on the flop, which is not often the optimal result.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:01 AM

I realized it may have looked like a bad beat post, but I honestly almost check-folded to it as the gut kicked in and thought JJ was really, really, really possible here. Since I havent played heavy amounts of PLO before I honestly didn't know if it was a not-so-common but happening phenom when you have a guys hand range nailed down pretty tight. Pot size here though I didn't think the answer would be lay it down.

Looking forward to thoughts on the CR, as I use it a lot, I think its because I cant overbet like in NL.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:36 AM

On a full table, any unique 2 card combination has an approx 5% chance of being in someone's hand. Therefore, you can expect to lose the overfull to quads once in every 20 hands.

The same goes for the probability of someone holding a straight flush when the board shows 975 triple suited.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:22 AM

You are going to be ahead 95% of the time, so folding should not enter your mind with only $15 (half the pot) left.

You will also find many players who will raise you with AJ in this spot, so making a big laydown will often be wrong.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:38 AM

Since you should occasionally checkraise with a big draw, you should come out betting on the turn. Bottom set, AJ and even some draws will call you. As for worrying about quads, *most* players holding JJ on the flop would have reraised unless they also held a draw like flush + gutshot. With small stack sizes like that you are just going to have to pay off quads if the other player has them. Only with deep stacks and a good read can you fold fearing quads.