Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 05:56 AM

Default chess players, 3 move checkmate?

i use to play a little chess back in the day. i just read this article on yahoo news.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050801/...s_world_record

"PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. - Seven-year-old Hunter Boshell studied the white and black chess pieces before her. Her strategy was simple, to make plays exactly as her 85-year-old great grandfather, "Boppy," taught her.

But three moves later, Hunter knew she was no match for the world champion standing in front of her. With a swift, "check mate," Hunter became the first of hundreds to fall to Susan Polgar, a four-time women's world chess champion.

Polgar was out to set a world record for the largest number of simultaneous games played. By Monday afternoon, she had 326 games going — enough to break the record of 321 listed in the Guinness Book of World Records.

She expected to play 18 hours or more to finish the games and to make a run for another record of the most consecutive games played.

Her opponents ranged from 4-year-old Hannah Boshell, who lasted one more round than her older sister, Hunter, to 95-year-old Jona Lerman, who's been playing the game for more than eight decades.

"Every Monday night, ever since my wife told me I was too old for tennis, we have 20 people get together for a friendly game," Lerman said.

Lerman and the other opponents sat at long rows of tables set up in a shopping mall. They wore matching white "Susan Polgar" T-shirts, tagged with numbers, and played at identical chess boards with anything but identical strategies.

The pre-game warm-up for 8-year-old Alex Venarchick consisted of trying a few surprise moves on his mother, Rebecca Venarchick.

"I know that I'm going to lose to the grandmaster," Alex said. "Everybody's going to lose."

Polgar was just about as confident in her ability to win each game. But she looked at the possibility of losing a match or two optimistically: "At least I will make their day," she said.

That attitude has helped her consistently win a game that once was dominated by men. Now 36 and living in New York City, Polgar started playing at age four in her native Hungary and was ranked No. 1 in the world by the time she was 15. In 1986, she became the first woman to qualify for the "Men's World Championship," forcing organizers to drop "Men's" from the tournament title. In 1991, she earned the Men's Grandmaster title, and she has won the Chess Olympiad five times.

She said her longest matches stretched to 16 hours in the mid-1980s before tournaments imposed a seven-hour time limit. But she said Monday's exercise would be the most grueling.

"I have to combine the physical as well as the mental," Polgar said before playing her first pawn. "That (16-hour match) was one game, but here I'm playing 350 and walking. And it's likely to be an eight-mile walk."

Polgar remained standing throughout the event on Monday. She walks along the rows of opponents, watching one person make a move, then moving her own piece, before taking a step over to the next board.

Most players knew they had little chance of victory, and many set more realistic goals for themselves.

"I don't expect to put up a tough fight. But I would like to get through 20 moves," said Neil Bauman, 50, who was visiting from California. "One thing I know for sure is that she's going to have a powerful headache.""

the first paragraph says that the kid lost in 3 moves. is that even possible? never heard of a 3 move check mate. obviously theres the 4 move checkmate which can only be executed if you're white.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: chess players, 3 move checkmate?

[ QUOTE ]
But three moves later, Hunter knew she was no match for the world champion standing in front of her. With a swift, "check mate," Hunter became the first of hundreds to fall to Susan Polgar, a four-time women's world chess champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

How cheap. It's a simple trick that doesn't work once you reogonize it. It's actually 4 moves: E4, Bc4, Qf5, Qf7++, but they probably counted 3 because black only made 3 moves.

Black does something that doesn't get in the way. It's not very sporting of this chess champion to beat her opponent that way, IMO.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:02 AM

3 move checkmate exists, but it depends on the loser making the "right" (wrong?) moves:

e4, f5.
e5, g5.
Qh5#.

Black can mate white in 2 moves the same way (phzon posted it.).

There may be another answer as well.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:03 AM

A move in chess often refers to a move for each side.

1 f3 e5
2 g4 Qh4#

That would be counted as a 2 move mate.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not very sporting of this chess champion to beat her opponent that way, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially a 7 year old.

I looked at this and said a 3 move checkmate?. I know of a 4 move one and sure enough I looked down at your post and it was the one that I was thinking of. I usually bring the queen out before the bishop though.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the first paragraph says that the kid lost in 3 moves. is that even possible? never heard of a 3 move check mate. obviously theres the 4 move checkmate which can only be executed if you're white.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't say mate in 3. if you read it she starts out the way the old fart showed her how. but 3 moves after that she gets mated

Melch
Old 08-02-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A move in chess often refers to a move for each side.

1 f3 e5
2 g4 Qh4#

That would be counted as a 2 move mate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I like to call that one the Polish opening
Old 08-02-2005, 09:51 AM

Polish Opening is 1. b4

noob
Old 08-02-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Polish Opening is 1. b4

noob

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but it is a much more appropriate name for this opening
Old 08-02-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yup, I like to call that one the Polish opening

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that because you think it is hilarious to suggest that Polish people are stupid?