Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 01:46 AM

Default Late in a tourney, pair of tens....last lesson for me.

16 out of 31, blinds 6/12

Dealt 10's in the bb. UTG calls. SB completes. I raise 3-4x the BB to 3600 (4800)? My stack was 30k PF.

UTG (somewhat laggy) calls. Flop comes 5 Q 8. What is the correct play here?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Late in a tourney, pair of tens....last lesson for me.

bet about 1/2 - 2/3 the pot and fold to an all-in.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:25 AM

It's hard to make decisions on what to do without knowing the stack size of the UTG player, the average stack size, how far away from the bubble you are, and what the payout structure is like.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:57 AM

Why raise 4XBB here?? The same kind off hands will probably be driven out with 2.5xBB and it makes post flop less dangerous with a hand like 10-10 that is almost sure too flop an overcared. The problems is now you got a pot of like
10200 with a stack of 25K you are almost pot commited with a pot sized bet,...here less than a pot sized bet and a LAG player could move in with an under pair like 99, 66, or 77 also remember he limped then called a huge raise this smells of something curious unless he is just an awful LAG player... Yeah an as earlier posters said we really need to see more info here like what the villains stack loooked like...if you guys were in the money...payouts...etc etc.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:49 AM

stack size avg player...ehhh 30kish
stack size utg 32kish, had me covered

16th out of 31, top 3 = 650 W$

thank you all for your input so far....tell me if there's anything i missed
Old 12-07-2004, 12:10 PM

Had you seen him limp in EP with a big hand before?? Doesnt seem like he could make this call for set value or with KQ QJs a10 AJ? AXs KJ or K10 OR q10 perhaps J10s?? Im trying to get a feel for what he could be holding. My weak tight spidey sense went of when i hear he limped then simply called..AA KK?? Cant believe QQ or JJ is possible here or 10-10 or 99 or even 88....What was your thinking about a hand range??
Old 12-07-2004, 12:26 PM

i would've checked pre-flop, and then bet pretty much regardless of what came out. raising pre-flop is very likely to put you in this spot - having a lot of your stack in the middle and one or two overcards on the board. also if utg limp-reraises, you'll vomit.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:31 PM

Seems so weak for 10-10 but it might be the correct way to go. In fact I feel like limping or pushing here...and I hate a push..so I guess it is a limp.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:44 PM

Yup.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:20 PM

Zaxx, my reads on him were ehhh. I was playing two tournies and paying the most attention to this table (a third win in three weeks would have been sweet), but didn't really put him on a range of hands. I felt he didn't have the big 3 or slick - actually, I would have welcomed slick - and pushed on the flop. My gamble did not pay off. He was holding KQ os and that was all she wrote.

I hate his call - would anyone call a 4x BB raise with KQ os here?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'm assuming noone likes an all-in here with this flop. This was the lesson I was referring to; I won't be pushing in this situation again, I had too much of a stack to gamble with 1010.

[ QUOTE ]
i would've checked pre-flop, and then bet pretty much regardless of what came out. raising pre-flop is very likely to put you in this spot - having a lot of your stack in the middle and one or two overcards on the board. also if utg limp-reraises, you'll vomit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - straight out of TPFAP (reading this now, just passed that) - I wish I would have followed this. I like that line a lot better. I realized...I'd dump 22 here, why should I treat 1010 much differently?

Given all that, what do you do with this flop? Is there anyway I can put him on top pair? Or was he just a LAG who got lucky? Even at the final stages of the 3$ rebuys, you see some pretty loose/questionable play....not that that will shock anyone.