Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Moving up in buy-ins (L/C)

I've was running a little cold the past few days on the 11s. Only down like 15 buy-ins, but the usual stuff when going cold - losing races, running into monsters, losing with dominating hands, etc.

But then I started checking my HHs. I noticed that I had also been making stupid plays. Reckless, impatient, and overaggressive, which is totally not my style. This was on the 11s.

Then I checked the few 22s and 33s that I've played recently. My play was much better. It got me thinking - as much as I have enjoyed making the "easy" money on the 11s, I think I've reached the point where either a) I think that I can win no matter what I do (which of course, is wrong) or b) the buy-in is so low relative to my B/R (or my lifetime earnings) that I don't care enough to put forth my best effort. I got very angry at myself for this.

But I also realized that I can no longer stay at the 11s and 22s. I must move up full time to the 22s and 33s for the sake of my game (and B/R). So anyway, I've played a few 33s (mixed in with 22s) and I've realized that the play is really not that great and that my concentration is much higher. I actually have my adrenaline pumping during games again. I know it's short term, but I've already more than made up for my small downswing at the end of my "career" on the 11s.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody else ever reached the point where they could no longer play their best game simply because the buy-in didn't mean enough to them. I have hesitated to move up in the past because I'm conservative with my B/R, but I now realize that I don't have a choice.

Sorry for rambling, but going through my HHs for the past few days on the 11s was an eye opening experience... Also, thank you to all the great posters on this forum who have helped me improve to the point where I feel comfortable moving up in buy-ins. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Moving up in buy-ins (L/C)

I only get that feeling when I play lower than normal. I'f I had to play the 20s for some reason, I would be making tons of donk plays I'm sure.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:37 AM

Yeah, same thing happened to me at the 11, I no longer play them now. I am in the same boat as you, mostly 22s with some (more and more hopefully) 33s thrown into the mix.

But the problem I may have now at the 33s is I am playing too tight and too scared possibly.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:51 AM

Same thing with me at the 11's, I couldn't take it seriously (I know this sounds very spoiled [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ).

Now it's the opposite for me, I try to play my normal 22-game at the 55's and get comfortable, this is a challenge also.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:54 AM

The only caveat to the buyin affecting your behavior is that downswings will be 2x or 3x as large in actual dollars, and possibly in # of buyins too if your ROI is lower. Since you seem to be adaquately bankrolled, this shouldn't be an issue, but it's something else to consider because it can affect your play. Gl in the 22s/33s, please stay off my tables! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 11:11 AM

I don't think you were rambling at all. You're obviously ready to move up so do so.

This is a classic example of what I think applies to almost everyone - you must play at the right level to play your best game. Usually that means that losses have to hurt a bit but not too much and wins have to feel good but not too good. The adrenaline should flow but again, not too much. Play too high or too low and you will not play your best.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
.... - you must play at the right level to play your best game. Usually that means that losses have to hurt a bit but not too much and wins have to feel good but not too good. The adrenaline should flow but again, not too much. Play too high or too low and you will not play your best.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that is about the best way to know if you're at the right buy-in! Well put.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:10 PM

I wish you good luck at the higher limits.

Your post is dead on with why a lot of good players make mistakes at lower buy ins at times... Some people have to be challenged at what they do, or they dont put out.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:30 PM

Great post!

The past year and a half or so I have been playing the 30's, 50's, 100's and 200's. I started with nothing online and really didn't know proper SnG Bankroll management till I came here but when I was playing the 100's and 200's it was such a rush for me because I was playing for decent money and the thrill of winning was great. But I found solice in the fact that my swings were more then I could handle, but when I went down in limits to the 10, 20, or 30's it was boring to me because it was just cards. I think a few key things happened in between this time and the past 6 months. I realized that I was a winning player but I wasn't properly bankrolled and I wasn't happy. So I made a decision that I would re-dedicate myself to my game and sacrifice time for experience and proper money. OK I am blabbing but that being said I made the following decisions.

1000 10+1
1000 20+2
1000 30+3
1000 50+5
1000 100+9

I would make sure that I put in the time to something I loved to do and I would start from the bottom up, the swings are less, I feel more happy, yes at times the games suck but I know I will never go broke because i am planning better then ever, planning for my success, and adjusting if failure comes.

That being said i have 865 more till i can move up to the 30's.

I wish you the best with your play, I hope you find happiness in whatever level you play

Seth
Old 09-02-2005, 01:49 PM

At the advice of many at this forum I have moved up to 4 tabling the 33s. I, like you, find myself more focused. I am also having to adapt to slightly different calling standards and a few more people putting moves on me.

the wierder thing is this. although adequately bankrolled at 50 buyins. I am very protective of my bankroll I built it from a baby and now it's a toddler. when it gets hurt I think of how long it took me to build that and i get pissed. Anyone else have this?

SAM

ps. not sure if this qualifies as a true thread hijacking or not. If so my apologies.