Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Aggressive Play

"My interest is not really to learn how to play like them, but to learn how they play, what they look for and hope to do in order to improve my game when I come across players like them."
Read "The Psychology of Poker" if that's what you want to know. Dr. Alan Schoonmaker does a very good job of explaining it.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:43 PM

Dr. Al does what .. ??

No offence, Dr. Al's book is a good read, but basically all he says is to be Tight Agressive when playing ringgames.

The skills for later stages tourneygames ... well ... that is just not covered ... It's basically a psychologi version of a preflop starting hands chart in limit poker (A good read though ... couldn't help but to smile while reading how moviestarwannabe LAG with loudmaners and covered in gold jewelry arrived at the table .. Instantly uncomfort showed in the eyes of the mouse sitting at seat two and he promtly stood up and left .. while the TAG's welcome the LAG promtly buying him a drink )

You want something usefull, then read Feeney ... and that is not even a pokerpsychology book .. it just contain some pratical chapters on emotions, tilt and dealing with maniacs
Old 12-07-2005, 02:10 PM

Feeney is good to, but I think the post was about knowing what's going through their heads, why they think the way they do. That's why I suggested Dr. Al's book.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:41 PM

As I said, Al's book is an good read, but to simple in it's approach ... I was a bit dissapointed, mostly because he preached what is right and what is wrong ... It's a bit like waching either Dr. Phil or Oprah

Still I do not feel like I wasted my money ... Mason says that there is a new book by Dr. Al in the printing ... Maybe it will contain what the first lacked [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 05:46 PM

Yes, I'll be getting that book as well. I must say, I like Al's book. I think Feeney's did more for me, but there is still a lot in Al's book to be gained.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Killer Poker

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2 Killer Poker books are what changed my game, taking me from being a book type wimpy player into the "I own this table and all your chips are mine" type I am today. Really teaches you to look for opportunities to be aggressive and how to exploit other players. Highly recommended.

Killer Poker Online is lame tho... the Killer stuff really only works in live game situations.

L8r... BB