Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Chasing

Here are some common situations in Limit O8 that I don't know how to handle or know how to simulate.

I hold AsKs3d2c. I raise on the button and get 5 callers for a pot of 6BB. The SB bets the flop and 3 more people call. Here are some sample flops that more or less miss me, but have a lot of backdoor potential....

QhTh6s, QhTc6s, QhTc6d.

My feeling is that with 16:1 odds that calling is corect with each of these hands even though these flops are not
exactly a good fit.

Has anyone attempted to simulate this sort of thing to see if this is correct?

Also, how much does this change if I am in middle position and there are potential raises behind me? In other words, do I have something at least close to 20% pot equity so that raises won't cost me much money.

Similarly, when I have a premium high hand and only catch one card, it seems like taking one off can be right. Suppose I raised with AcQcJdTs and the flop comes with
Jh7c3d. Any turn card 9-K or higher gives me a few outs for a scoop and some give me a huge draw. Even low clubs will probably be OK for me if the betting on the turn remains pasive. My current thinking is that I want to raise preflop with these kinds of hands precisely because I want to have the proper odds to see the turn when I get a flop of this sort. On the same note, how would changing the 7c to the 7s change things?

Jim M