Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: What\'s a good response when someone asks you what cards you had?

i like exercising honesty at the table...sets em up for that key pot you can lie your way out of. a matter of preference and you can really only get away with it at lower limit tables but i'm not shy about showing my hands. then when you scoop that nice pot and your opponent asks what you had, you can lie and say "aces up" or something...make sure you muck your cards first.

another good response "you beat!" layne flack said that to matusow in one of the wpt's for season 3.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play live that much, and I'm a quiet reserved person by nature, so I sometimes find it difficult to handle aggressive jerks at the table.

So yesterday, a young kid folded to my bluff raise after the flop came J-J-2 (I had Q-9). He said, "What'd ya have?" I just shrugged and smiled, and tried ignoring him. He kept pressing, "What was it, K-J? J-10?" Finally I politely said, "You have to call if you want to know my hand", and he said, "Bro, it's a $3-6 table, this ain't the WPT, so just relax and tell me your hand." He was looking at the other players like I was the biggest a-hole in poker history. He kept muttering about it for the rest of the session every time I was involved in a pot with him, like "uh-oh Mr. WPT's in another pot", etc. It started to make me a little uncomfortable after a while. I even considered switching tables, but I decided not to because the game was very good.

Was I wrong? Does B&M etiquette require that I disclose my cards in low-limit games? If not, is there a good comeback I could use, to get guys like this off my back in the future? In the heat of the moment I just couldn't think of anything to say that would effectively end it and shut the guy up.

[/ QUOTE ]

"aces"

seriously, for your sake know that you'll make more money long term if you oblige and have fun with it. it is a fricking 3/6 game. smiling tables make you money; even if you showed every hand (like i often do), nothing would change WRT their play.

fim
Old 07-15-2005, 09:16 AM

Dang it Al, last time someone asked me, I kicked him in the nuts. I guess it was the wrong context. Well, I am still learning the game.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:57 PM

When ever someone asks if I had a certain card I always respond " Dude??..didnt I just play like I did?"
The usual response is a ear to ear grin, so proud of one's
ability to read me.......
Old 07-15-2005, 06:37 PM

Default I always have two deuces n/m

lf
Old 07-15-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wink at him, he'll go nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, this one is genius. Holy S, just continuously wink every time he asks, with no other sign of a response. This really is great. The more he harps on you the more you wink, LOL. I can't wait to try this one. How frustrated that little punk will get.

Thanks sourbeaver [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2005, 01:21 AM

"What'd you have?"

"I had the Reuben with potato salad on the side. My friend had the French Dip."
Old 07-16-2005, 02:00 AM

Good post. Some of you young punks are wiser (I already know you guys who post here are smart) than I originally thought. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 07-16-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play live that much, and I'm a quiet reserved person by nature, so I sometimes find it difficult to handle aggressive jerks at the table.

So yesterday, a young kid folded to my bluff raise after the flop came J-J-2 (I had Q-9). He said, "What'd ya have?" I just shrugged and smiled, and tried ignoring him. He kept pressing, "What was it, K-J? J-10?" Finally I politely said, "You have to call if you want to know my hand", and he said, "Bro, it's a $3-6 table, this ain't the WPT, so just relax and tell me your hand." He was looking at the other players like I was the biggest a-hole in poker history. He kept muttering about it for the rest of the session every time I was involved in a pot with him, like "uh-oh Mr. WPT's in another pot", etc. It started to make me a little uncomfortable after a while. I even considered switching tables, but I decided not to because the game was very good.

Was I wrong? Does B&M etiquette require that I disclose my cards in low-limit games? If not, is there a good comeback I could use, to get guys like this off my back in the future? In the heat of the moment I just couldn't think of anything to say that would effectively end it and shut the guy up.

[/ QUOTE ]

5 of a kind, Ace of purple horseshoes.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:54 AM

This may not work well for the introverted types, but if you're wanting to have a little fun at the tables, and especially if you are drinking, you can say:

"I had the cow...AND the calf."

Say it like you mean it, and with a smile of course, and trust me, they will get a kick out of it. Then when you get involved postflop when there is an obvious draw on the board, you call out very enthusiastically:

"Gimme that COW!"

They'll eat that stuff up. Sets up all sorts of bluffing opportunities. And the next time someone folds to you, you can smirk and say, "I only had the calf that time."

Soon they will be asking you which one you have. Before the hand is even over. How can you pass up this sort of fun?