Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 08:20 PM

Default common situation

You are in the BB. Someone open-raises and the there are at least 2-3 callers and you close the action.

At this point, how low are your calling standards? Any two, o/s connectors, how much gap, etc?

This question is spurred from a similar situation earlier today.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($20.79)
SB ($24.75)
Hero ($39)
UTG ($25)
MP ($20)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
SB posts a blind of $0.1. MP posts a blind of $0.25.

<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP (poster) raises to $0.25</font>, Button calls $0.50, SB (poster) calls $0.40, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($1.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($1.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $1</font>, Button calls $1, SB calls $0.75.

River: ($4.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $2</font>, Button calls $2, SB folds.

Final Pot: $8.75

I'm not posting this because of feelings of bitterness in retrospect, but because this situation comes up so often (that of playing in a family pot).

My thoughts at the time were that 32o is complete trash. I was priced in, but I decided to fold. The chances of domination and higher two pairs are the hughest of any two cards. 32o hits only a handful of flops. It becomes an 'either you have it or you don't' kind of situation. Of the favorable flops that 32o hits, all other action is usually killed because players are aware that it is a family pot. If you do manage to get customers, usually they will have strong hands with legitimate redraws. I think 32o and maybe 32s to be neutral EV at best in these situations. So i opted for a fold.

Thoughts?
Old 03-26-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: common situation

I was wondering the same thing, with hands like 65o.

with 100bb stacks, at cost of 1bb (once minraised) it's pretty hard for me fold these hands.

I would love to hear other's opinions on this.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:07 PM

Assuming it was a min raise I would probably call here in the BB with a similar range of hands that I would limp with in LP maybe a tad tighter due to positional concerns. So like JTo or better.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:32 PM

If there is a min-raise and several callers I'm definetely going to be calling any low connectors (maybe not 23-45, but 56-89 for sure). The times you hit trips, an OESD or two pair you get payed a decent amount when there is also a K or something on the flop. The trick is to know what the min-raise means.. with someone people its a PP up to 99 or so, with some its a mediocre hand like JK, with some it can be as good as AQ.

Either way I play these low connectors and hope to get payed if I hit a hand as well as some paint on the flop.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:07 PM

more importantly, why did you not get all your money in on the river?
Old 03-26-2005, 10:45 PM

raise the turn raise the river get paid for that 32. I have never put a nickle in my life on 32o or 32s. A min raise means very little to me and my playing standards don't change. lowest suited connectors for me are 54s. definitely playable in a family pot. of course i might be the tightest sob around.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:09 PM

heh, the converter messed up the hand. I was in the BB and folded to the pf minraise.

I'm with booger here. 54s is generally the lowest I'll go in a family pot. I'm basically playing anything here that I can limp with on the button.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:23 PM

With those odds, I call with a lot of different hands. 32 is considerably more valuable than A6 or KJ because it's a hand that's rarely going to get you into a ton of trouble.