Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-27-2005, 05:49 AM

Default Representing the royal?

Does this kind of thing happen often to everyone, or am I giving off signals that I'm weak-tight (or both)?

Villain is loose preflop (about normal raising range, but if it's got paint, it plays), and aggressive, a little tricky, but but not crazy postflop. We played for a while HU when the original batch of loosies left the table with neither having a clear edge. He's tried bluffing with a raise once or twice after the board paired, but nothing like this.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (12 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 17 BB

(Yes, I probably should have raised preflop with KQ, and normally I do. Villain may have not tried so hard if I'd have raised, but how then would he have put me on something by the river 3-bet that would make him fold for one more bet?)

I know it's probably useless to try and get my head around this, but it seems to be happening more and more (one common example: the donk on every street, despite getting raised each time). It's like they read the line in HEPFAP about how the one who bets/raises the most has the advantage, and then stop reading.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Representing the royal?

What exactly is the question?
Old 12-27-2005, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll rephrase for you: in your play, have you noticed significant aggression that in the end is/seems to be nothing but a huge bluff, with any kind of frequency?

Edit: I ask because it may be a leak of mine that I fold low-med pairs/ace high too often to what may well be a bluff when villain raises a flop/turn that looks good for me.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll rephrase for you: in your play, have you noticed significant aggression that in the end is/seems to be nothing but a huge bluff, with any kind of frequency?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a whole lot but it obviously has happened before. If I see a player do this I will make a note and make the correct play in hand.

For all we know he could have flopped a flush and when the board became double paired he must have realized he was beat and made a correct fold. We dont know for sure that was a hopeless bluff.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For all we know he could have flopped a flush and when the board became double paired he must have realized he was beat and made a correct fold. We dont know for sure that was a hopeless bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, one hand in isolation can be confusing (if the fold was correct, the raise immediately preceding it certainly was not). So, here's another, with the showdown hand, same villain:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (12.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 14.16 BB

Results:
Hero has As Ad (two pair, aces and sevens).
Button has Jh 9s (two pair, sevens and fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 14.16 BB.

Raised me on the flop and turn with nothing but a gutshot. Like I said, I didn't see him going crazy much postflop, so I'm thinking I must have done something to make him believe I can be put off a hand. (Of course, this time it's the river call that's mind-boggling.)

Edit: and I wouldn't be bringing it up if it wasn't happening a lot. I noted at least a half-dozen examples at this one table, of course not counting the times it might have worked.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:54 AM

Its the Holidays. People can't handle the egg nog. Just put them on your buddy list. Play aggresively back at the to get the value and with your really thin marginal hands let them bet if for you. Oh and don't be pissed in a situation like this if he actually does have a 5 or a back door flush.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:09 AM

You being boggled by play at party 3/6 6 must mean you haven't played there long.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say it happens often, but if I play 2K hands in a day, it might happen a few times. It's something to keep in mind.