Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Looking for some intermediate advice

I play a lot of 6 max stud. In the last 5 days I've had two runs where I started the session losing 150 and 250 hands with no wins. It's nothing new and not bad when you're card dead and folding, but it drives you nuts when you're getting cracked left and right.

1 out of 10 sounds reasonable. My avg winning % is 4% per session. Running bad is 0%, running good is 7%. So out of 200 hands, 4% is 8. That's winning on avg 1 out of every 25. The suckouts in stud drive me nuts. The amount of times you're run down by hands like a smaller pair chasing a bigger one is mind boggling. Makes me wonder where they get these win % numbers from with AA vs 55. It aint from playing on Party.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:41 PM

Of course, sometimes he stays up three days straight until he gets even.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:47 PM

I don't remember the last time I actually played chess. It's probably been a few years. I played a fair amount in high school and college, studied the game some. I do very well against uninitiated players--my mom, my ex-father-in-law, etc., but good players mop the floor with me.

Also, "roaring drunk" is BeerMoney's domain. I drink a certain amount, but I don't overdo it very often. I'm 37, and when I do have too many, the next morning is moderately hellish. Also, taxis are ridiculously expensive in this town.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:58 PM

When I was a student at Boston U (1986-90), there was a guy who played chess in front of the Au Bon Pain on Harvard Square and took on all comers for $2 a game. You got ten minutes and he got five. Someone who was accomplished might get five minutes to his four. I believe that this was his only means of support. Of course, this might be worse than no money, because he might have been better off making sandwiches in the Au Bon Pain.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:47 AM

Looks like your advice paid off, took 1st in a $20 stud tourney and 4th in a $20 NL HE tourney, back to back. Had to play both final tables at same time, but it worked out ok. Took a bad beat to get knocked out, gut shot on river, but im not complaing. Hpoefully this puts me back on track.