Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 11:04 PM

Default stud/8- Forum tournament hand

I don't play stud/8 at all, was this right?

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level IV (75/150), Ante 15, Bring-In 25 (converter)

Seat 3: 884
Seat 4: 2,218
Seat 5: 975
Hero: 1,429
Seat 7: 634
Seat 8: 3,321

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___folds

4th Street - (8.20 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (4.10 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (6.10 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (8.10 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

Total pot: (8.10 BB)
Old 12-12-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: stud/8- Forum tournament hand

it might have been better to just call the reraise on 3rd, as you don't mind an 8 getting in the mix - if you make your hand you'll crush him. also in a tourney you do want to conserve chips with the low draw, and not push it early as much, even with your strong hand. however, i can't argue with results as you scared the King into giving you a free card. I probably would have raised with your strong draw on 5th street, which is a no brainer in a cash game, but here I can't fault you because of the conservation of chips. Since your new to 8/b, i think you played it above average for sure.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:54 AM

My first thought is "I wonder how this plays out if you bet out 4th"

But that is probably a bit reckless.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:19 AM

3rd:Good so far.
4th:Yep.
Overall:You got it.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:56 AM

In a cash game, I probably three-bet when it comes back to me on third. In a tournament, I would probably just call and see what develops. The rest looks good.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:58 AM

Call third, raise fifth. You got those two streets backwards.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:23 AM

Andy makes a very good point about the difference between tournament play and cash games. By raising on third instead of calling, you are committing too much to the hand (look at the antes/bet size relative to your stack).

Now, another interesting point is made by Jon concerning a possible bet on fourth street. Given the play on third, I think this could be the best play. The reason is to represent three baby clubs that just picked up a 4-flush. It's not out of the question that he might fold right there. If he calls fourth and you hit a low card (or a club) on fifth, I guarantee you take it down there, unless he improves to trip kings or something and can't get away from his hand.

After you check fourth, I like raising 5th with the strong draw. I doubt you will get a free card on 6th if you brick, but you might. And at this point he will be clueless if you make a straight to scoop. I think he would just bet sixth after you brick and the hand would be the same, but the point is to get your money in on 5th when you have the best of it.

Good fold on the river. That low pair is obviously no good.

Interesting hand.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:04 PM

I think I probably just call the raise when it comes back to me on third. I really don't mind having an eight in there to toss in some money. I would raise fifth myself. This does two things. I'd have to run some sims, but id imagine you would have enough equity for this to be profitable, although maybe not, usually i'm wrong when it comes to sims lol, and secondly it allows you take a free card most likely on sixth, although this wont be true against all opponents. I like it because if all goes well I get to put in more bets when I hit my hand and less bets when I miss.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call third, raise fifth. You got those two streets backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking my alternate plays would be when I posted this hand. Thanks for comfirming.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now, another interesting point is made by Jon concerning a possible bet on fourth street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even think about betting forth, I thought there was a good enough chance that he would call down no matter what I did so I was content with taking my free card and punishing him when I made my hand. It might have been worth a shot though.