Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 07-22-2003, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Eight \"First trip to Vegas\" questions

shuttles at the airport are easy. there should be signs at the baggage claim. it's like $4-5 each way. i don't think there's a regular schedule, they just fill up and take off. you can schedule to have one pick you up at your hotel or a nearby one for the return trip.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Well, I can\'t answer for Vegas, but here\'s how it works...

I stayed at the Flamingo two months ago and can confirm that they have a safe in each room. I think it's $1/day if you use it and it has a programmable password feature.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:37 PM

<font color="purple">(2) How would I store valuables in my hotel room? Is there a safe? I'm staying at Flamingo.</font>

The Flamingo does have a safe in each room, but charges something like $3/day if you use it. The Mirage also has a safe in each room. Other hotels I've stayed at (Luxor, Monte Carlo) do not have room safes; you have to get a box at the front desk. Personally I prefer a room safe.

The Bellagio and Mirage poker rooms have safety deposit boxes for players, but I've never used them. I kind of assume that most of those boxes have like $50,000 in chips, so I'd feel silly keeping my $800 there.

<font color="purple">(6) Should I really ask people if they chop as soon as I sit down? Of course, I am hoping the game is loose enough that chopping won't be an issue</font>

I don't chop in Las Vegas. It's a lot simpler. I adopted that policy a while ago, because it seemed there are lots of players who have complicated rules for when they chop ("I chop if it's six-handed or more, but the guy on my left doesn't chop seven-handed so when he's sitting there I do the same..."). I like heads-up play anyway so I just find it simpler never chopping so I don't have to keep track of whether the players on either side of me chop. Yes there's a bit of a rake penalty but it doesn't matter much at 20-40 or higher.

<font color="purple">(7) Is there a website with current information on shuttles? It seems they'd be convenient. I have found http://www.flash.net/~mchino/shuttle.htm but if anyone has another site they can share, that'd be great.</font>

A taxi from the airport to any Strip hotel isn't that much. Maybe $15 including tip, often less. Thus it's really not worth bothering with airport shuttles. If you're talking about moving between hotels, since you're staying at the Flamingo you can easily walk to Mirage or Bellagio. If you want to go elsewhere I'd just take a taxi unless you're on a tight budget. Or if the weather's okay you can walk anywhere on the Strip.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:34 PM

Default Eight \"First trip to Vegas\" questions

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to all for the replies!

Only 16 days left...

[/ QUOTE ]

I sat next to someone at California Pizza Kitchen in the Mirage who was a poker-player from Georgia making his first trip to Las Vegas. That wasn't you, was it? It would be a cool coincidence. This was on August 5 (this past Tuesday).
Old 08-20-2003, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Well, I can\'t answer for Vegas, but here\'s how it works...

I can confirm that the flamingo and probably 95% of the strip hotels have safes in the rooms
Old 01-05-2004, 04:45 AM

Five months later...

...no, it wasn't me in the CPK. Sorta too bad that it wasn't; it would have indeed been a cool coincidence [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]