Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-07-2005, 08:59 PM

Default stud high, pretty sure I made a couple mistakes

I just threw $100 on stars so I can play the 2+2 stud/8 tourney so I thought I'd try out stud for a few hands, first time playing stars.

Seat 8 raises 3rd pretty much every time so I don't have to worry much about his preflop and alot of hands were going 4-way so I don't mind playing from behind.

Seat 6 raises 3rd everytime he has an overpair to the board so trips on forth don't scare me much.

What should I have done differently in this one.

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (7.00 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

should I raise forth? double raise? fold?

5th Street - (7.50 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (11.50 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (15.50 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___raises___calls

not sure about the river

Total pot: (23.50 BB)

Results:
Total pot $94 | Rake $3
Old 12-07-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Re: stud high, pretty sure I made a couple mistakes

Easy fold on 3rd street if you like money. He is raising a queen that limped and there is a king behind you. This gives his raise more legitimacy and either of them can have big pairs also. Your hand is a turd here. On 4th, I'd raise, but I'd have never gotten to that point.

Jeff
Old 12-07-2005, 09:09 PM

I am well aware my hand is bad here but the raiser raised literally every 4 out of 5 hands and these other guys played very straight forward, they would reraise if they had the jacks beat.
I know this is a fold but I knew I was getting paid off big if I hit trips or anything decent at this table.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:12 PM

Well maybe you shouldn't spend so much time thinking about the other players PREFLOP holdings ... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 09:15 PM

On another note, ignoring the posibillity of hitting two outs for trips, what are hoping to hit .. two low pairs ??
Old 12-07-2005, 09:18 PM

I guess it was sort of reverse tilt, I was making a killing at the table and just got sloppy, but, if we disregard the 3rd street play, how did I do?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:24 PM

First off, you are not guaranteed to be paid off if you hit trips since you will have open sixes. Loose game or not, you have to understand that typically slows the action (whether or not it actually does on a hand in question). Also, bad players get hands too and to raise into overcards he typically will have some kinda hand, most notably jacks. But ok, maybe he has a pocket pair, in which case, your sixes are beat. Ok, maybe he is light...maybe he has something like KQJ; oh wait, that has a great chance of drawing out on your tiny pair.

Oh wait, you also have to contend with two other players sporting overcards who also either are likely beating you or easily could outdraw you. And oh yea, even if you catch the 9, you still will lose often vs a few opponents, one of whom prob started with a bigger pair than you. Also, one overcard did limp, but the other remains to act behind you -another negative.

It is my most humble opinion that this hand is a clear 3rd street fold.

Jeff
Old 12-07-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On another note, ignoring the posibillity of hitting two outs for trips, what are hoping to hit .. two low pairs ??

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a live 2 to a gutshot straight flush my friend [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], I know its horrible
Old 12-07-2005, 09:31 PM

I'm not disagreeing at all, that would be my analysis as well.

I just started hitting the call button with any pair at this table after about 20 min and took down pot after pot. I couldn't control myself.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:44 PM

Variance can be fun sometimes. (I'm referencing your comment that you were playing every pair and winning pots). But it sounds like you know you misplayed it by calling on 3rd.

After that I guess your play is fine... it looks like you got paid off pretty well. Calling 4th ended up putting a lot more money in the pot. I guess I just don't spend a lot of time thinking about how to play hands like 6-9-6-6 in multiway pots, because I'd almost never be holding it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]