Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Major Downswing..........seriously lost

Hey all, I figured to post here as I do every once in a while. I normally play the 10-20 NL, and 200 sngs....but over the last week I have run into thee worst luck I could ever imagine. I have begun to question my play, but honestly, I do not think it's that bad. I'm on the worst downswing I've ever had. Losing $45,000 in 6 days is just eating me up and I wanted to know how people go about dealing with significant downswings and how to come out of them. Is there anything specific that you do that you do not think others do that definitely helps? I mean I clearly can take a break, as I'm sure I'll get that response...or play it out... just looking for a place to turn as my head has been a gigantic mess over this past week. Thanks in advance,

-Jared
Old 12-07-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Major Downswing..........seriously lost

I drop down when I'm running bad and it usually gets me going in the right direction.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:09 AM

Matt Matros commented about this in his book on the making of a poker player. He went through his hand histories very carefully, and found a number of leaks. Basically he found he had been accumulating certain mistakes (such as playing too many hands, not sufficient values OOP) too slowly to notice while they were happening, but he was able to discover them when looking through the hand histories.

You could get someone else to look through them as well.

But your downswing is a very short amount of time. His dry run was much, much longer than yours.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:14 AM

Hi Rojo, hang in there. You probably won't get many replies while our dear american members are sleeping. But they will reply tonight for sure.

About your downswing. I don't play cash games and I have no idea about the variance there. However, for sng's, this downswing is enormous. I think you should question your play, it is rare that winning players loose over 50 buyins, and I've never heard of a winning player loosing more than 100. Your downswing is equivalent to over 200 buyins at the 215's.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:18 AM

Worst luck? That's like 200 buyins at the 200s, do you mean a little bad luck and a whole lot of tilt?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Rojo, hang in there. You probably won't get many replies while our dear american members are sleeping. But they will reply tonight for sure.

About your downswing. I don't play cash games and I have no idea about the variance there. However, for sng's, this downswing is enormous. I think you should question your play, it is rare that winning players loose over 50 buyins, and I've never heard of a winning player loosing more than 100. Your downswing is equivalent to over 200 buyins at the 215's.

[/ QUOTE ]

most of it is from playing 10 20 and 25 50 nl if what i am told on aim is correct.

edit: to those of you that don't know jared, he is one of the best players at 10/20 nl on party, and is a hell of a sng player also. he has helped me immensly in my quest to be a better player.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

most of it is from playing 10 20 and 25 50 nl if what i am told on aim is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's still like... 15-30 buyins right? No way something isn't right.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:29 AM

I'm actually even over about 200 SNGs this week. The torture has been at 10-20 NL, and i'm only down 3k of the 45k in 25/50-50/100 NL........ I'd post there, but know way more people on this forum.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's still like... 15-30 buyins right? No way something isn't right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dropped 30-40 buyins at the $55s within a week, I really wasn't doing anything wrong (maybe overplaying small pairs a little bit to raises), 15-30 really isn't as much as you'd think!

All I can say to Rojo is keep battling, I'd say look over your HHs but I am sure you've done so already. Variance is a bitch that rides us all at some point.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:32 AM

pwn the step 5's for a week, make yourself feel better

or come to thailand and get a couple of hot slaves [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]