Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: ESPN Article: Wearing Sports Jerseys in public

[ QUOTE ]
When you see people wearing them past puberty you can always assume they're poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well throwback jerseys cost in the 250-300$ range if you want a authentic one and the same goes for authentic non throwback jerseys as well. The replicas are cheaper but are still around 70-80 bucks a pop. Its not a very good genarilization.

FWIW, I wear sport jerseys all the time. I wouldn't to an event that was supposed to be formal though but to a party or a gathering I would wear them everytime I could. I like the look of a jersey and find them to be extremely comfortable.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you see people wearing them past puberty you can always assume they're poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well throwback jerseys cost in the 250-300$ range if you want a authentic one and the same goes for authentic non throwback jerseys as well. The replicas are cheaper but are still around 70-80 bucks a pop. Its not a very good genarilization.

FWIW, I wear sport jerseys all the time. I wouldn't to an event that was supposed to be formal though but to a party or a gathering I would wear them everytime I could. I like the look of a jersey and find them to be extremely comfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging by your sense of style in shoes... I would tend to disagree with whatever you say in the matter of fashion.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only time an adult should wear a jersey is when attending a sporting event in person (jersey of team actually participating), or when viewing a big sporting event at a party or sports bar (again, participating teams only). People like that douchebag from NY (Stiller? Something like that) from the 2005 WSOP ME are shining examples of how I view people wearing jerseys outside of these parameters.

That being said, hockey sweaters are far more acceptable than basketball, if only because you don't have to wear anything underneath them other than a T-shirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall, I'd say basketball jerseys are the worst. Here's my ranking (from most to least acceptable to wear in public):

Hockey > Baseball > Football > Basketball

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I see someone wearing a hockey jersey I just want to check them into a wall and then knock a couple teeth out.
Jerseys should only be worn while PLAYING sports or whenever you feel like being a tool.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only time an adult should wear a jersey is when attending a sporting event in person (jersey of team actually participating), or when viewing a big sporting event at a party or sports bar (again, participating teams only). People like that douchebag from NY (Stiller? Something like that) from the 2005 WSOP ME are shining examples of how I view people wearing jerseys outside of these parameters.

That being said, hockey sweaters are far more acceptable than basketball, if only because you don't have to wear anything underneath them other than a T-shirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall, I'd say basketball jerseys are the worst. Here's my ranking (from most to least acceptable to wear in public):

Hockey > Baseball > Football > Basketball

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I see someone wearing a hockey jersey I just want to check them into a wall and then knock a couple teeth out.
Jerseys should only be worn while PLAYING sports or whenever you feel like being a tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a brilliant idea!
Old 12-07-2005, 02:25 PM

I'll wear my jerseys (#56 Lawrence Taylor throwback and #42 Mariano Rivera) when I'm watching the team play, either at my house or at my local sports bar. I'd also wear it to a game that they're playing. There's a Steelers Nation group that shows up with 50-60 people, and most of them are in jerseys...my fave being the Jack Lambert throwback. Just about everyone in the place wears a jersey. Having said that, I won't wear jerseys until I'm at the bar. I feel uncomfortable wearing them just out on the town.

Guys who wear the wrong jersey to a sporting event (like a football jersey to a baseball game, or a Red Sox jersey to a triple-A baseball game between Marlins and Rockies farm teams) crack me up.

ScottieK
Old 12-07-2005, 02:31 PM

I don't wear jerseys at all, but I don't get the jersey hate.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the jersey hate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-07-2005, 06:09 PM

I actually wrote a similar article for one of my websites a few months ago: http://www.nfl-football-jerseys.com/jerseyrules.htm . It has what I consider to be my 10 Rules for Buying and Wearing jerseys. Mostly I just wrote it for fun, not to say what is right or wrong except the part about tucking a jersey in. That should NEVER be done.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:26 PM

You advotcate wearing kickers jerseys, which pretty much tells me that I don't need to keep reading.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You advotcate wearing kickers jerseys, which pretty much tells me that I don't need to keep reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone wearing a David [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Akers jersey has my total respect.

DrCool, what do you think of wearing jerseys of obscure players that are no longer with that team? Example...I have a Bubby Brister Broncos jersey, a John Freisz Seahawks jersey and a few others like that.

I've never actually worn the Friesz jersey. I was so surprised that one actually existed that I figured it might be a collectors item (though not actually worth anything) and it was cheap so I picked it up.