Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2003, 05:08 PM

Default An Expensive Free Card

$15-$30. A few limpers to me in LP and I limp with 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . The blinds come along.

8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

Looks like a love-hate relationship. The decidedly loose and fiesty SB bets, a strong player raises, and a weak player calls. I'm not yet a believer. I three bet. SB four-bets. The strong player grumbles and folds, and the weak player calls. Maybe, just maybe, all I have now is a full house draw. A free card would be nice. Fortunately, I'm at Artichoke Joe's, the only (?) place in the Bay Area with a five-bet cap. So I cap.

8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] - 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

This reeks of checkraise. Nobody bets.

8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] - 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] - 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Nobody bets.

How'd I do?

Old 07-03-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: An Expensive Free Card

I doubt this guy would stay around for 5 bets if he didn't have pretty good cards. Well if he's as fiesty and as loose as you say he is I'm guessing he would raise preflop with 88 or even 66. He 4 bet you so I'm guessing he has some raggy 2 pair or straight. He could easily have a straight with no hearts and he's afraid of the one card flush.

HHMMM by the tone of the email,,,your no good...I'm guessing he had some crappy straight with 57o
Old 07-03-2003, 05:37 PM

You shouldn't be too conserned about the made flush until a someone raises 4 times or some whimp bets or raises on the turn. Even if someone DOES have the flush you are hardly a 3:1 dog.

Therefore (once the tight player folds), you should probably flat call the flop 4-bet figuring to raise the fiesty SB on the turn.

Its unlikely you will get anybody to fold any made flush on the turn but you CAN get someone to fold a straight or a straight draw. I'd be tempted, very tempted, to take a stab at it on the turn unless "fiesty" also means "tricky". Checking it down is just fine.

- Louie
Old 07-03-2003, 06:53 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

and the 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] sweeps the pot!!!

the hand kept getting worse for ya....
id have played it the same way.

b
Old 07-04-2003, 03:26 AM

Hey D, It was nice meeting you.

People were remarking on your solid play after you left. I thought it was funny that of course the tight, solid player would be yet another 2+2er.

By the way, AJs is spreading the NLHE tourney this Sunday despite the holiday weekend -- in case you find yourself on this side of the Bay.

Old 07-04-2003, 05:28 AM

I hope this story ends w/ JD taking it down w/ black pocket 5s.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:23 PM

I actually don't remember this hand. I didn't know that Gift of Gab was a 2+2er until very late and don't remember specifics about his earlier hands. JD wasn't there. We were playing with either a lot of day or weekday people who I hadn't played with prior to yesterday.