Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Looking for a softer place to play

My reviewer from the session review asked me a question that you guys might be able to help me with.

I'm playing at PS .10/.20 currently. With a small sample size I'm doing ok (2300 hands --> +2.9BB/100) Probably more importantly my play looks pretty solid on PT (17.7 / 7.4 / 2.46). What the reviewer asked was "can't you find any softer games at this level?" These games seem to have more TA-A and other good players than fish, calling stations etc. The tables are pretty tight - typically with 3-5 players to the flop (at most). The aggression at these table is still pretty low.

My question is are there better sites out there for playing at these limits. Also do these sites have clearable bonuses or rakeback at the micro level?

Also do you think I should move up to a higher limit (my BR would allow me to play as high as .25/.50 at 532BB or .50/1 at 266BB). I was going to wait until my confidence level for being a winner at .10/.20 was > 95% but given my PT stats maybe I should move up to increase profits.

What do you all think??
Old 11-24-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Looking for a softer place to play

don't wait for a 95% confidence level on your winrate. pleease.

move up to 0.25/0.50 now. since the games do not get any softer as you move up, there's really no reason to look for the softest .10/.20 game out there. you really don't improve your game past the nano-limit plateau playing these limits.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:12 PM

The 0.25/0.5 games at paradise was really soft when I played there a few weeks ago. They also have a decent bonus ($50 on a $200 deposit, 10 raked hands per 1 dollar bonus money), that could be cleared at that level.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:14 PM

If you are playing strictly according to SSHE then you probably won't be earning as much as you could if you changed your style a bit according to table conditions when the game is tighter.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:28 PM

Hey HouseCalls,

Glad to see your bankroll is building and that you are logging the hands at micros! Hows the bonus clearing going, any luck finding more to clear?

Paradise currently have a reload and don't forget to cash in and out when stars do their stackable reloads(To clear in a few months when you have time/Can be bothered).

Two things before moving up stakes:
1, Confidance - Do you feel you're comfortable to move up to higher stakes?
2, Does your bankroll allow it?
3, are you beating the previous stakes?

Yes, Yes, Yes = Move up!
Yes, No, No = Dont.
No, Yes, yes = Prob best not to just yet, Confidance is important!

Anyhow on a side note....

When logging hands at .10/.20 don't think of it as grinding. Whilst the stakes are low, the lessons are cheap. This means you can do things you may not do when you begin to play .50/1 and 1/2.

Such as:
in small pots, When your sure... but not 100% so that a guy is bluffing/Holding feck all(I.e. you will win) you can call down. This increases confidance in reads and doesn't cost much if you're wrong.

Blind stealing - Once again, you can try this vs weak tight opponents you spot. Its cheap it goes horribly wrong, but a handy "weapon" to have some practice at.

Now don't call down vs everyone, or blind steal from all tight players... That will drop you're win rate and prolong the play at the lower levels. But just remember, the lessons now are cheap, but at 1/2 calling down can cost you $4+ ... Now it costs maybe $40+Cents? Practice whilst its cheap, this is something i never did much of.

Good luck,
POKhER.
p.s. 17/7 is quite tight, So when comfy at .25/.50 after 10K hands or so have your PT STATS checked before moving to .50/1
Old 11-24-2005, 03:09 PM

Does PAHUD work with Paradise????
Old 11-24-2005, 03:12 PM

Game selection at $0.10-$0.20 is pretty much not worth the time. When I started playing online poker, it was at the nickel-dime level.

The only time I'd really consider the stats for a table when it was really tight. And then I'd sit down just to see what would happen and if I'd learn anything. Maybe I did, but probably not that much. I notice that "TAGish" tables at such low stakes are really just a bunch weak-tighties I'd lag out on.

Might as well move up if you have a big enough roll, the games probably won't be that much different.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:13 PM

No, not currently. It may in the future.

Also, The hand histories of only the last 100 hands are sent via email.

This probably has a lot to do with the games being soft there.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:20 PM

On a side note, i think finding a "Softer place to play" when refering to .10/.20 and .25/.50 is -EV in the long run.

Firstly, .10/.20 are hardly "TIGHT" same applies for .25/.50 and even when they are, the players arn't awesome post flop.

When moving up and getting to 1/2 and 2/4 or maybe 6max, having learnt to handle these "TIGHT" games at .10/.20 (As i said previously, where the LESSONS ARE CHEAP) will help a ton!

So in the long run, Quit looking for soft games and try playing tight games once in a while. Treat micros as A LEARNING COURSE not a "Get to 1/2 the fastest" race.

if you do this, The road ahead will be alot easier to walk on... then run.

Just my 2cents...
p.s.House i replied to your pm.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:31 PM

There is really no point staying at any limit when you have the bankroll to move up. Each new limit play different so the skills you learned at the previous level is probably not as valueable as you think.

Sure its scary at first but after a few thousand hands of break even play you learn to handle the emotional stress and its just poker again. You should of course move down should you lose.