Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-22-2005, 04:22 AM

Default 10.50 HU SnG- Raising to Get a Free Card with Bottom Pair

I think this play may be +EV at low blind levels (I certainly could be wrong). The very important point to make here is that villain has to be very loose and very passive. On a board like this specific one, it helps if villain doesn't semibluff. Fortunately, these people are very common in Bodog 10.50 HU SnGs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Villain has 825 and I cover. Blinds 15/30.

Hero calls on the button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Villain checks.

Pot = t60
Flop = 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain minbets.
Hero minraises [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Pot = t180
Turn = {8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]}6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain checks.
Hero checks.

Pot = t180
River = {8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]}2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks.
Hero bets t120.
Villain calls.

The idea behind this play is that against loose/passive villains, taking the lead away when you're drawing is very +EV. I play like this extremely frequently with better draws (OESD or flush draws) against this kind of opponent, but I suspect that it's even +EV with weaker hands like gutshots and bottom pair if villain is an ideal candidate.

Note that if I'm sure villain plays this way, I'm getting almost 6:1 on the minraise preflop to see two cards with what's likely a 5-outer. In hindsight, I think I should've overbet the river.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:37 AM

Default Re: 10.50 HU SnG- Raising to Get a Free Card with Bottom Pair

If he is very passive and pays you off at the end, the line is good. What are you doing if he raises (or even reraises) the river here?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are you doing if he raises the river here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played this hand earlier today, so I don't remember the actual villain. I started to type that this is usually an easy fold, but that's not actually true. I think I call this most of the time as a c/r could easily be top two pair or goofy overpair or a weird bluff. (Of course, specific villain and bet size and stuff matter a lot here, so it's hard to speak generally.)

This situation seems to be pretty rare, though. A more common and very frustrating situation is a flop mini-3-bet, which I've been instacalling. That spot really bugs me.

I haven't dealt with turn leads too often.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 PM

I rarely min-reraise, but like your line as an alternative to mix it up. I woulda bet more on the river. This line works only if you get good implied odds -- take advantage of it.

The Shadow
Old 11-23-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I woulda bet more on the river. This line works only if you get good implied odds -- take advantage of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.