Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-16-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Ethical Dilemma

OOT I need your help.
A friend asked me yesterday if I would write a 7-10 page paper for him. (It is due in 2 weeks) He offered me $125 to do this, and I still wanted to negotiate the price but I agreed in principle. I wrote him a short proposal about my idea which was due today. After thinking it over, I realized that I don't think thats enough money for my time, and I don't even want to write it anyways.
My friend is now upset because he already turned in the idea and he obviously doesn't want to do it. I told him to email the professor or go to his office hours and try to change the idea. I also offered to do some research and help him shape the paper for free.
Am I completely in the wrong here? Also, is anyone on OOT interested in doing this? Could anyone reccommend a place in which he could purchase a paper? Thank you.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Ethical Dilemma

Not enough $... make him do his own [censored] paper.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:21 PM

It's wrong to do this for him in the 1st place, so having a change of heart about an inherently unethical act is OK in my book. It's nice of you as a friend to help him out with his paper. That's the most he can, ethically, ask of you anyway.

But if you're talking about weaseling out of agreed upon terms with your buddy - then I think you should definitely do what you feel is $125 of work for him. That's fair.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:21 PM

Tell him you'll do it, but make it clear to him that he will get what he pays for. If he won't agree on a higher price, just take 2 hours and throw something together.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OOT I need your help.
A friend asked me yesterday if I would write a 7-10 page paper for him. (It is due in 2 weeks) He offered me $125 to do this, and I still wanted to negotiate the price but I agreed in principle. I wrote him a short proposal about my idea which was due today. After thinking it over, I realized that I don't think thats enough money for my time, and I don't even want to write it anyways.
My friend is now upset because he already turned in the idea and he obviously doesn't want to do it. I told him to email the professor or go to his office hours and try to change the idea. I also offered to do some research and help him shape the paper for free.
Am I completely in the wrong here? Also, is anyone on OOT interested in doing this? Could anyone reccommend a place in which he could purchase a paper? Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in the right--not because the fee isn't high enough, but because knowingly writing a paper which your friend will turn in under his name is grossly unethical. It is academic dishonesty to turn in work that is not one's own, and the penalties can be pretty stiff if one is caught. Speaking from experience, I can say that if his professor has had any interaction with your friend at all, the professor will be able to tell that it's not your friend's voice. Besides which, the whole point is that your friend (not you) is supposed to be getting an education from his coursework.

It would be perfectly OK for you to sit down with him and toss some ideas around until he has a sense of what he wants to say. Likewise it is OK for you to read a draft and give feedback. But you as author of a paper he submits, not OK. And you as pimp for a paperwriting mill or ghostwriter, also not OK
Old 11-16-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
knowingly writing a paper which your friend will turn in under his name is grossly unethical

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Kidnapping, torturing and killing an innocent child is grossly unethical. This is neither here nor there. I don't understand why some people insist on making a big deal out of the stupidest most inconsequential things.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
knowingly writing a paper which your friend will turn in under his name is grossly unethical

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Kidnapping, torturing and killing an innocent child is grossly unethical. This is neither here nor there. I don't understand why some people insist on making a big deal out of the stupidest most inconsequential things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on your definition of ethical. I would think alot of people would agree that turning in work, in an academic environment, is on balance an unethical act for a variety of reasons (unfair to other students etc.).
Old 11-16-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on your definition of ethical. I would think alot of people would agree that turning in work, in an academic environment, is on balance an unethical act for a variety of reasons (unfair to other students etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

Furthermore, what your friend does with the paper he buys from you is really none of your concern. The ethical problem is between him, the professor and the institution.

In the business world, people "farm out" projects all the time. The person accepting the project is only responsible for completing the project and nothing more.

There is nothing inherently wrong with writing a paper ... indeed, that was the assignment given to a whole class of students, so it unlikely is not an unethical task.

There is something inherently wrong with academic fraud, but that would belong to the student passing the paper off as his own.

That being said, you made a deal with agreed upon terms and a completion date. You should live up to your bargain.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Furthermore, what your friend does with the paper he buys from you is really none of your concern. The ethical problem is between him, the professor and the institution.

In the business world, people "farm out" projects all the time. The person accepting the project is only responsible for completing the project and nothing more.

There is nothing inherently wrong with writing a paper ... indeed, that was the assignment given to a whole class of students, so it unlikely is not an unethical task.

There is something inherently wrong with academic fraud, but that would belong to the student passing the paper off as his own.

That being said, you made a deal with agreed upon terms and a completion date. You should live up to your bargain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure how "Ethics" even came up in OPs original post actulaly. Sounds like he wants to know if it's weasely to back out of his original deal.

Oh and gonna have to disagree with you - I think that if you knowingly partake in an unethical act, then yes, you are being unethical (I understand there is nothing inherently wrong with writing a paper, but there is knowing what the paper's intended use is).
Old 11-16-2005, 09:55 PM

Custom writen papers should be at least $40-50/Page