Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-09-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Holy Crap Fox News + Climate Change????? Did I die?

Linky

I saw an add for this on TV.

"The Heat is On: The Case of Global Warming," Sunday, November 13 at 8pm and 11pm ET.

This is my favorite quote from the article:

When I was asked to host a FOX News special on climate change and global warming, I knew I was going to have to really do my homework. Frankly, this was not an issue that I paid much attention to in my everyday life. I'd separate the newspapers from the milk cartons from the tin cans when taking out the trash, but that's pretty much where my environmental awareness began and ended.

I've got to love reporters!

Hopefully this will be decent. I'm not expecting too much simply because of who is hosting the show but we will see. Maybe I will be surprised.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Holy Crap Fox News + Climate Change????? Did I die?

Yeah, let's hope this isn't just another of those sneaky ploys of the "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy." It sounds suspiciously like something Roger Ayles (sp?) would cook up, don't it? He and his old bud, Rush L.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Linky

I saw an add for this on TV.

"The Heat is On: The Case of Global Warming," Sunday, November 13 at 8pm and 11pm ET.

This is my favorite quote from the article:

When I was asked to host a FOX News special on climate change and global warming, I knew I was going to have to really do my homework. Frankly, this was not an issue that I paid much attention to in my everyday life. I'd separate the newspapers from the milk cartons from the tin cans when taking out the trash, but that's pretty much where my environmental awareness began and ended.

I've got to love reporters!

Hopefully this will be decent. I'm not expecting too much simply because of who is hosting the show but we will see. Maybe I will be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice how the title is the "case" of global warming, whcih suggests that there is still some doubt even though basically every respectable scientist in the world probably lay 1,000,000:1 that climate change is a fact.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:07 PM

How does that suggest it is not a fact? If the title was the case for global warming it would be different, but the case of global warming clearly implies one of the follow six definitions of the word case.

# An instance of something; an occurrence; an example: a case of mistaken identity. See Synonyms at example.
# An occurrence of a disease or disorder: a mild case of flu.
# A set of circumstances or a state of affairs; a situation: It may rain, in which case the hike will be canceled.
# Actual fact; reality: We suspected the walls were hollow, and this proved to be the case.
# A question or problem; a matter: It is simply a case of honor.
# A situation that requires investigation, especially by a formal or official body.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
every respectable scientist in the world probably lay 1,000,000:1 that climate change is a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

No respectable scientist would take a reasonably-worded version of that bet.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
every respectable scientist in the world probably lay 1,000,000:1 that climate change is a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm a scientist and I'd take that bet that we are making an impact without batting an eye. The amount of impact is easily debatable though. You will have to explain what you mean.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm a scientist and I'd take that bet that we are making an impact without batting an eye. The amount of impact is easily debatable though. You will have to explain what you mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

1,000,000:1 is very long odds. Surely the probability that current temperature changes are caused by some non-CO2 process is greater than .000001? Changes in solar activity? Aliens firing a heat beam?
Old 11-10-2005, 06:36 AM

Zeno, Nicky g, lastchance, and I made several very very long threads a while ago. It is filled with tons and tons of data from the Vostok ice core to radioisotope analysis of atmospheric carbon. The data is pretty solid and goes back hundreds of thousands of years. We ARE changing the % of carbon in the atmosphere. The carbon from fossil fuels is a different isotope than atmospheric carbon due to radioactive decay.

The only thing that is debatable is if this is a coincidence: