Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Bay Area Card Rooms

Hi All,

I am going to be in the Bay area from Nov 8/14 on business and want to play poker in the evenings as opposed to sitting in hotel room.

I have info on Bay101, staying 5 mins from there but they only spread limit games. Anyone with good info on any other Bay area card rooms that spread NL? I heard about "Lucky Chances" from the card manager at Bay101. Any thoughts? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
-Jeff
Old 11-02-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Bay Area Card Rooms

i play at chances and enjoy it very much, but if your 5 mins from bay101 just stay there..chances is about 30 min drive away.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:28 PM

The Palace in Hayward spreads a 1-1-2 uncapped NL that plays quite deep. From what I've read its very soft.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:32 PM

you are staying in sj... which has a number of card rooms, bay101 being the best.

you will not find any no limt games in san jose thou. no limit is 'illegal' based on some stupid city law here.

like another poster said, lucky chances right outside SF spreads NL, it is a bit of a drive thou.

bay101 has daily nl tournaments, they arent 'really' nl, its just 1-10x spread limit... meaing you can bet 10x the bb... since the blinds/levels go up so quickly and you start with so few chips, you can pretty much go 'allin' anytime you want.

-ryan
Old 11-02-2005, 08:35 PM

I believe the tournies are spread limit 1x-40x not 10x.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the tournies are spread limit 1x-40x not 10x.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, they are effectively NL.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:39 AM

Try the Oaks Club in Oakland.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:22 AM

If you want to play big NL, you only have one choice: Lucky Chances. It used to be blinds of 10-10-20, 40 to open, uncapped, of course. I have heard that now they get down 20-40 blind games. The game is only spread on like Monday, Friday(?) and Saturday, I think. I don't play the game often enough to remeber, but you can call them and they'll tell you. 650-758-2237. Personally, I hate that place.

If you want smaller NL, then don't play at LC's. They have those capped buy in games, and the blinds are something like 3-5, I think. Better choice is to go to The Palace in Hayward. 1-2-2 blinds, 5 to open, but the game is usually killed or double killed, making the game play a lot bigger if you want it to. Of course, you don't have to play it that big if you don't want to. There is no cap on the buyins. Hayward is in the East Bay, about 25 minutes from Bay 101 (up the 880 freeway). It's a cool place.

Really, though, unless you can't play limit, Bay 101 is the Cat's Meow for poker. They have the best games, staff, and food of any poker room around. Anywhere. If you go there, play at least 6-12, but probably 20-40 becuase the rake is too high at the small limits. They spread up to 80-160, every day. There are 40-80 and below games going 24/7. Good luck! Oh yeah, no matter how close your hotel is to the cardroom, make sure you drive - it's not a place to be walking around, regardless of how it appears.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you go there, play at least 6-12, but probably 20-40 becuase the rake is too high at the small limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, didnt i specifically tell you that i was excited about vegas becase the rake at bay 101 6/12 was too high and you said it wasnt an issue? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

rj
Old 11-03-2005, 03:34 PM

The big NL at Lucky Chances goes M/W/F. It's $5K min on Monday and $1K min on Wed and Fri. The smaller capped NL games are a 3-5 blinds game with an additional $2 blind on the button. Min 200, max 500 buyin. They also have a 1-2 blinds game with a min 40 buyin, max 100. Time charge is a steep $6/half hour in that game, but the players are truly awful.