Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Hand analysis....

[ QUOTE ]

Blinds 100/200/a25

Hero has 5700
MP2 has ~4500
CO hs ~7100

Cutoff hasn't been out of line. He's been calling in late position with low pocket pairs, hit a set twice and slowplayed them into big pots at the river.

MP2 hasn't done anything spectacular. Recently doubled up with AKs when he reraised all-in against UTG=2 raiser who had KK.

Anyway, the hand....

Hero has 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG. (Not suited)

Hero raises to 600. MP2 calls. CO calls.

Flop (T2325): J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Looks like a pretty safe flop for me, but am weary of the Jack.

How do we play from here?

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

So I actually did lead exactly 1600.

MP2 folds, and the CO raises to 4000, obviously letting me know he is committed to the hand. He would've slow played a seven based on my read.

So now I have 3500 behind, and it's 2400 more to me. So if I continue with the hand my tourney is on the line. If I fold, I just spewed 2/5 of my stack.

I put him either on high hearts or a Jack, and folded.

My thread isn't about one hand at all. I've just looked at my hand histories, and have seen that 10-10 is a loser UTG for me. Sure I've only had it UTG 37 times in my limited experience, but it's been a big loser.

If my raise is called here I'm OOP and don't like many flops. Underflops are good and might win some pots, but it seems with 10-10 OOP I lose big pots and win smaller ones.

Anyway, those are my thoughts but fmurt makes a good point that at this stage of the tourney I don't have tons of room to work with post flop.

Brad
Old 09-30-2005, 02:50 PM

Let's flip things around for fun. You're on the button with TT. Someone raises in early position, there's one call, and the action is on you. You can debate the proper action in this spot, but wary of the EP raiser, you flat call.

The flop comes J77 with 2 hearts. The raiser bets and now it's on you. Now personally, to just give it up here seems pretty weak, but if you want to play, you're probably going to have to raise here to see where you're at, which actually ends up being more expensive than the actual hand under discussion.

My point is that it's not really position that killed you, it's the fact that you had a non-nut hand and someone apparently hit their overcard. In fact, by being the aggressor before the flop, you probably got away from it more cheaply than you would have otherwise.

Fact is, no one ever said TT was a guaranteed win, just that it rates to be a pretty good hand. In this case, you could have flopped a set, you could have flopped undercards, you could have flopped an overcard that nobody hit, but none of those things happened. Oh well. That doesn't mean you should start regretting putting money in the pot.

It would be interesting to look more closely at some of your other TT hands and look at the stack sizes, whether you came in for a raise every time, etc. I bet there's something to be learned there.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:52 PM

Hero calls.

I'd think AJ doesn't leave room for a call, JJ doesn't bet, and AA-QQ reraises BTF.

I probably push the river if a blank comes on the turn, because so many of villain's possible holding are flush draws here and hero will be ahead.

My range for CO is pretty wide including any pair (particularly the midpairs).
Old 09-30-2005, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the very good post.

I'm going to evaluate more when I get home tonight and perhaps come up with a better theory on how exactly I've been playing this situation.

Brad
Old 09-30-2005, 03:31 PM

Terrible fold. TT with a J high flop is about as good as its going to get. If you can't play the tens here maybe you shouldn't play no limit.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: 10-10 UTG

This is an easy raise for me at this stage of a tournament. The pot is big enough that I'm quite happy to win it uncontested, or play the BB with position. I hate limping at this stage, and if I'm prepared to automuck TT to a re-raise, then the deck is going to have to hit me in the face in order to win, because there are only 4 better hands I can be dealt, and they don't come around all that often.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:08 PM

Ok, terrible post.

Explain why? I made the continuation bet as I should in this situation (I would with all flops with just one overcard).

A guy for which I have really only seen play solid poker reraises me here, I still have more than 14 BBs to play with. Only if I know he knows that I've been playing super aggressive or something will I call this type of raise regularly.

It's sort of close I guess, but to just say that it's a horrid fold is not helpful. What kind of hands do you see the CO risking over half of his stack with here?

Resistance is not futile in this situation.

Brad
Old 09-30-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: 10-10 UTG

[ QUOTE ]
This is an easy raise for me at this stage of a tournament. The pot is big enough that I'm quite happy to win it uncontested, or play the BB with position. I hate limping at this stage, and if I'm prepared to automuck TT to a re-raise, then the deck is going to have to hit me in the face in order to win, because there are only 4 better hands I can be dealt, and they don't come around all that often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks David.

Brad
Old 09-30-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, terrible post.

Explain why? I made the continuation bet as I should in this situation (I would with all flops with just one overcard).

A guy for which I have really only seen play solid poker reraises me here, I still have more than 14 BBs to play with. Only if I know he knows that I've been playing super aggressive or something will I call this type of raise regularly.

It's sort of close I guess, but to just say that it's a horrid fold is not helpful. What kind of hands do you see the CO risking over half of his stack with here?

Resistance is not futile in this situation.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you get raised by 99 and 88 here, possibly even an underpair (on the theory that "the raiser probably has AK"), and by flush draws. Occasionally, we'll use Harrington's 10% figure, he will have complete air, figuring he can probably blow you off big cards.

Now, to know if it's a fold, you'd have to assign some percentages to those hands I just named, versus the chance that he has a jack or better, and compare the result to your pot odds. I don't know the answer. Normally, I'd say that getting only a jack as an overcard, with only 2 opponents seeing the flop, is a pretty nice flop and I'd be prepared to play it strongly. But I don't know that it's a "terrible" fold.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:32 PM

OK, lets forget about the T1,900 that hero has put into the pot because its sunk.

there is T7900 in the pot and hero has to call T2300 getting 3.4:1 odds and reverse implied odds of T9400:T3800 or about 2.5:1.

Hands that you beat:
AK - 16 ways
22-66,88-99- 42 ways
2 hearts - 30 ways fairly LAGgy.

Hands your behind.

JA- J9 - 60 ways (5X12) also fairly laggy

AA-QQ out of the question,
A 7 unlikely.
JJ 3 ways

Hero is ahead more than he's behind. When he's behind he's more behind, but he is ahead substantially enough to get 2.5:1 on the rest of his chips.