Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Please check my line: AA UTG

how would you play it if you had AK? however you would play AK here, play AA the same way

You have to sell weakness on this hand to get any action... being preflop raiser and checking is too suspicuous.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:54 PM

He raises UTG with an M of 7. You don't think its reasonable that the next person (who probably has a small M as well from what he's told us) could call with A8? Would your thinking change if he told us (which he hasn't) that he's stolen the blinds several times before, so people might be suspicious of his raises?
Old 09-09-2005, 03:56 PM

Generally you don't steal the blinds from UTG..

and A8s isn't worth a call from EP with NO raises M of 7 or not...but definitely not w/ a 3x bb raise from UTG...

if anyone did call w/ A8s well that sucks, and you take a note on them.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He raises UTG with an M of 7. You don't think its reasonable that the next person (who probably has a small M as well from what he's told us) could call with A8?

[/ QUOTE ]

A raise from UTG by a raiser with an M of 7 is something to be respected. Would YOU call that with A8, from MP, and an M of - say - 6?

I'm folding a whole lot of hands as the first caller there. If I've stolen the blinds from the button, or the CO a number of times, with a normal raise, does that really adversely affect my image as the preflop raiser from UTG?

I don't think it does.

[ QUOTE ]
not A8.. the second and last callers could be with 89s or 78s...

[/ QUOTE ]

yup.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last night, 20+2 tourney. This is the second hand after the second break, I am 60 out of 155 with a 10300 stack, blinds 300-600 with 50 ante. Average is right around 10000.

I raise to 1900, and I get 4 callers.

Flop comes 8-2-8 rainbow. I'm just wondering how others play this hand at this point in time, considering this is about the safest flop possible for rockets. In other words, do you check looking to extraxt from say, an AK bluff or another PP, or do you just push right into the pot?

Thanks!

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

With 4 callers, this is surely not the safest flop for AA. At all. You don't give us position, that's important. There's 10k in that pot, I think your only move is to check/push, or push, or check/fold. I think I'd be tempted to Open push here, but I think the right move is to check/push, depending on the action.

edit: You're really missing a lot of crucial information here. You don't tell us the other players' stacks, what positions called, your position or how the table's been playing. The first 3 are key. If you were say, in MP and LP/SB/BB called, I would NOT be surprised to see 89 take this down. People play a lot of suited connectors when there's so much action, 78,89,8T. I'm not saying you're neccessarily beat, but this flop is *not* the same as a 249r or something. I think you are way too confident that you are ahead here.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:59 PM

his position is in the title...

and check/fold is certainly not a good line here uunless the 3 callers go nuts w/ betting.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last night, 20+2 tourney. This is the second hand after the second break, I am 60 out of 155 with a 10300 stack, blinds 300-600 with 50 ante. Average is right around 10000.

I raise to 1900, and I get 4 callers.

Flop comes 8-2-8 rainbow. I'm just wondering how others play this hand at this point in time, considering this is about the safest flop possible for rockets. In other words, do you check looking to extraxt from say, an AK bluff or another PP, or do you just push right into the pot?

Thanks!

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't realize that the stack sizes were as important....

BB who called has me covered, as does MP1 and MP2, who both called. CO has 3000 behind.

Anyway, I wanted the chips in the middle badly (increasing my stack greatly) and pushed all-in. Everyone folded and I just in retrospect felt I missed an opportunity to get more.

Thanks for the responses though. I'm still not sure what I should do in that situation next time though... if I ever get 4 callers of my UTG raise late in a tourney like that again. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I'd think 10-10+ calls usually here, no?

Brad