Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Grade the drafts of the Brown Trout Yahoo League

I only went through the first 4 rounds, but some general notes:

In a 16-team league starting 2 RB's and a flex with only 2 WR's, the value of RB's goes WAY up. As such there were way too many QB's and WR's taken in the first 4 rounds. In fact, every single QB taken in the first 4 rounds and every WR taken in the first 2 rounds (except possibly Holt), were taken way too early. Manning probably should have waited till late 1st or early 2nd round. And every other selection of a QB in the 1st 4 rds was a terrible pick. Since there were so many QB's and WR's taken early, you can basically evaluate the drafts by who stuck to picking RB's early and often.

Evalation of drafts through round 4 (based on who did the best job drafting, not necessarily the best teams as those drafting towards beginning did have an advantage):

Good drafts
<ul type="square">[*]Brent Musberger [*]Fred Taylors groin (Whitten might be a bit of stretch, but excellent draft)[*]Evil Monkeys[/list]
Average drafts:
<ul type="square">[*]Lets Go Buffalo (Pretty solid, but would've preferred one of the available RB's in rd3 instead of Horn)[*]Toi Cooks (who ruined 3 good rounds with Hasselback in the 4th)[*]Infinite Drew Downs (available RB's in 2nd and 3rd probably a little better than WR's Johnson and Walker, but not by a huge amount)[*]The Holdout (same as Infinte Drew, WR's a little early, but not bad)[*]Luckboxes R' Us (good 1st 3, ruined by Favre)[*]Gunner Stahl (McAllister was the steal of the 1st round, though, again Bulger in the 3rd was a big mistake).[*]BostonZak (Moss taken too early, saved when Taylor and Foster fell all the way to the end of the 3rd)[*]The Hitmen (Green taken way too early)[*]PoopSoup (Same as everyone else, Collins taken way too early)[*]handsome (solid, though I think the available RB's still had a bit more value than Harrison and Gonzalez was OK value, but you only had 1 RB at that point, you needed to land a 2nd and there only a handful of playable ones left)[/list]
Worst:
<ul type="square">[*]Enrique Bouncers (Culpepper at #4 was terrible)[*]Montgomery Biscuits (McNabb in the 1st was horrible, lots of WR's I would've taken before Muhammed - saving grace is Tiki was one of bigger steals in the draft at #21)[*]Dharma Buns (Manning too early, half a dozen available RB's I would've taken before Williams, Gates taken too early).[/list]
Old 08-24-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ][*]Luckboxes R' Us (good 1st 3, ruined by Favre)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure who else I could have taken there, once I made the Darrel Jackson pick. If I'd have taken DeShaun Foster then maybe Jackson would have slipped to me after Zak's picks. As soon as I picked Jackson I got a feeling I made a mistake there.

But once I took Jackson, I didn't really see anyone still on the board with as much relative value as Favre. Of course, some people are down on Favre -- I'm pretty high on him this year, as he's supposed to be in even better shape and even more prepared than last year, and last year was very solid.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure who else I could have taken there, once I made the Darrel Jackson pick. If I'd have taken DeShaun Foster then maybe Jackson would have slipped to me after Zak's picks. As soon as I picked Jackson I got a feeling I made a mistake there.

But once I took Jackson, I didn't really see anyone still on the board with as much relative value as Favre. Of course, some people are down on Favre -- I'm pretty high on him this year, as he's supposed to be in even better shape and even more prepared than last year, and last year was very solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee Suggs, Thomas Jones, Roy Williams, Hines Ward, Michael Clayton, Nate Burleson, Drew Bennett. - you get the idea. Still way to early to draft a QB.

edit:
Example: Brooks, Leftwich, McNair and Pennington were taken in the 8th &amp; 9th rounds. Do you think Favre is enough better than these guys to warrant taking him almost 100 picks earlier?!?!
Old 08-24-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Good drafts[*]Fred Taylors groin (Whitten might be a bit of stretch, but excellent draft)

[/ QUOTE ]

Woohoo! Redemption!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Worst:[LIST][*]Enrique Bouncers (Culpepper at #4 was terrible)

[/ QUOTE ]

luckily I don't play poker like I draft fantasy football [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 12:35 PM

Well, this was my first FF draft ever, and I can see that my strategy was very different from the conventional strategy (and probably much worse).

I have to admit that I don't understand why RB's should be taken so early. Under this scoring system, last year, there were five QB who scored more points than the highest scoring runningback, so I don't see what's so bad about taking QB's early.

The thing that I should be critisized for (that you didn't mention) was drafting a player who has been suspended for the year.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[*]Dharma Buns (Manning too early, half a dozen available RB's I would've taken before Williams, Gates taken too early).

[/ QUOTE ]

if i remember correctly, williams was one of the only rb's left on the board w/ a reasonable shot at starting 16 games (or at least being any good in the process)

the manning pick was maybe too early, but i let all those TD passes blind me a bit

the gates pick: the rb i wanted was still available a couple rounds later (larry johnson), and the elite WR's had just gone off the board, so the thinking was i won't get a WR/RB who's considerably better than what i can get next round, but i can get one of the best TE's now and solidify a really weak position. same reason i'd take a top 5 2B over a top 30 OF, even though the OF has better stats.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:33 PM

1 Julius Jones RB
2 Terrell Owens WR
3 Reggie Wayne WR
4 Jerome Bettis RB
5 Dieon Branch WR
6 Travis Henry RB
7 Doug Jolley TE
8 Adam Vinatieri K
9 Steve McNair QB
10 Philadelphia Def
11 Antonio Bryant WR
12 Mark Clayton WR
13 Dominic Rhodes RB
14 David Terrell WR

Here's my draft, to make it easy as well.
(I had the 13th pick or something)
Old 08-24-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MY DRAFT

Overall --- Name --- Position
15 Clinton Portis RB
18 Ahman Green RB
47 Darrell Jackson WR
50 Brett Favre QB
79 Isaac Bruce WR

82 Chris Chambers WR
111 Mewelde Moore RB (FLEX)
114 Donte Stallworth WR
143 Tyrone Calico WR
146 L. J. Smith TE
175 Chris Perry RB
178 JP Losman QB
207 Denver DEF
210 Matt Stover K

starters in bold

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-24-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MY DRAFT

Overall --- Name --- Position
15 Clinton Portis RB
18 Ahman Green RB
47 Darrell Jackson WR
50 Brett Favre QB
79 Isaac Bruce WR

82 Chris Chambers WR
111 Mewelde Moore RB (FLEX)
114 Donte Stallworth WR
143 Tyrone Calico WR
146 L. J. Smith TE
175 Chris Perry RB
178 JP Losman QB
207 Denver DEF
210 Matt Stover K

starters in bold

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the [censored] would I start a backup RB at flex over a starting WR?