Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 05:19 PM

Default A common problem with slow-playing

This hand is from a 30+3 tourney on Absolute.

It's about 45 minutes into the tourney, I have T2100. This table has been super passive except for the villian in this hand. Most hands have gone limp-limp-limp-raise-minraise except for the pots that the villian has entered when he has been aggressive forcing players out and then continuing with 1/2 to 2/3 continuation bets.

However, on the last orbit, villian showed down a very weak 8-6 of spades (he raised 3x BB with this from MP1). He kept firing with 2nd best pair and no draw and dented his stack to 1500 or so. More or less, he has shown lots of aggression with a wide variety of hands.

So to the hand in question. Blinds are 40/80, I am dealt two red queens in the CO. Villian is two to my right, in MP2.

Two limps as usual, villian raises to 250. I call <font color="red"> (a mistake I believe?) </font> limpers all fold.

Flop(620): 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG+2 checks, villian bets 300, I smooth call.

<font color="red"> My thinking here was that I knew the villian would in all liklihood make another stab at the turn. He had shown in a previous hand that he didn't mind bluffing on all streets and I wanted to induce that by looking as if I'm on a flush draw. </font>

Turn (1220): A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Villian has 950 left, I have him covered with 1550 left.

Villian checks.

<font color="red"> Ok, definitely don't understand this whatsoever. I'm not sure why he didn't fire away here. Is it because he's scared of the ace? Villian had bet in this spot more often than not in the first 45 minutes or so, I was going to fold to a check raise here, so... </font>

I check behind.

River(1220): 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian goes all-in for 950.

What the hell have I done to myself here and what is your play? My problem on the flop was that I was trying to extract value and didn't put him on a specific hand, figuring he could be firing with nothing. Then one of my scare cards came and he acted as if it was a scare card.

Anyone make the call at the end? What do you put him on? I will post results in a while.

Brad
Old 08-16-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: A common problem with slow-playing

I hate hate hate the cold call preflop. This guy is raising crap like 86, isolate him with your big pair. Luckily the limpers folded getting good odds to call.

I understand the idea of the flop cold call, but this is a fairly coordinated board. He easily could have a straight draw/flush draw given his history. You have a decent pot in there now, it's worth winning. You had 2100 before the hand, there's 800 in the pot after his 300. I bump it another 600-800.

Everything plays different from there.

The way you played it, I think you have to call the river. He's shown reckless aggression, plus you have shown no strength whatsoever. I think you're beat maybe 1 in 4 or 5 here. Usually you'll be shown busted hearts, air, small pair, etc.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:25 PM

AT?

I think I would just push the turn, either it helped him or he is scared of it, when you checked you had to believe he was going to push any river IMO and you face a tough decision. I think I fold this to his river bet, I don't see that amny ahnds that you beat, except busted draws. but villian has shown recklessness

edit- i like a check-raise on flop also
Old 08-16-2005, 05:33 PM

You have to raise him pre-flop to see where you stand. If he re-raises you pre-flop I think you push if it is just you two in the hand. I think the 68s hand and his aggression in other hands is a good enough read to make push the play.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AT?

I think I would just push the turn, either it helped him or he is scared of it, when you checked you had to believe he was going to push any river IMO and you face a tough decision. I think I fold this to his river bet, I don't see that amny ahnds that you beat, except busted draws. but villian has shown recklessness

edit- i like a check-raise on flop also

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious as to why you think the villian has A-T? Do you read him as showing strength?

Brad