Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-04-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Wrong target

I am asking to have my play reviewed. But I think I got it right. I am also posting this as a reminder about a common mistake of mine and others.

Villian is CO and Hero is 2 seats to his right in the SB at Commerce 2/4 table. Between us is a player who has been at the table less than 2 orbits. I had a showdown with Villian earlier. I had raised AA's and bet out the rest of the hand. I won and his showdown revealed that he had NOT raised AKs. If he raised other times, pre-flop, I do not recall. I estimated his Vpip to be about 50%.

Pre-flop: UTG folds, UTG+1 calls - MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO raises, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, others call. 6 players (10.75sb)

I decided not to raise my AK based on Villian's tight earlier play. I put him on JJ-QQ as the most likely options given his prior play, and my cards.

Flop: AJT rainbow - suits do not matter in this hand.

I catch top pair, K kicker. I have a tight table image, lowest Vpip at the table so I decide to test the waters. I bet out and get called around. (16.75 sb) No raises, I like that.

Turn: Another T.

I've got top 2 pair and K kicker. My read on Villian is that I've probably got him beat. Could he have a T or TT?

Retest - I bet. 3 folds, except Villian and Button who call. 3 players. (11 and change BB) and again no raises.

River: 5

Looks harmless - I bet, called around. 14+BB final pot.

I'm feeling pretty confident. Show AK, Villian shows AK that he raised this time, and by now I am sure you can guess what is coming. Button shows T5s that he cold called early for a full house.

I think my play was "standard" but am open to comments. More importantly, this hand reminded me of how easy it is to "lock on" mentally to the raiser. My phasers were clearly locked on that target. I do not know if I would have done anything differently had I even thought about Button's holdings. I do not know what I could have put Button reasonably on anything that would have gotten me out of this one. But my point is that I DID NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT WHAT THE quiet CALLER held.

What do you do to make sure that you think about ALL your opponents in a hand? Do you have a process or routine that helps you? The student is ready to learn.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Wrong target

nh. (aside from pre-flop)
Old 08-04-2005, 01:01 PM

I would have checked the flop intending to check/raise a bet from the CO.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have checked the flop intending to check/raise a bet from the CO.

[/ QUOTE ]

-d
Old 08-04-2005, 01:17 PM

1. Raise this pre-flop. Three-betting AK is automatic in 99.9% of situations.

2. Check-raising a bet from CO is nice here for value. You have a very strong hand and would like to get some bets in. You can risk a little bit more here because you hand isn't vulnerable to overcards.

3. Don't worry to much about getting beat like you did. As strong as your hand was, you should assume you are ahead until you get some kind of resistance. Callers are nice, but they don't give up a lot of information, and so you can't do much here. You should in fact be pleased with the way the hand was played after the flop, and glad the T5 player didn't extract maximum value.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:59 PM

Are you playing online? I'd consider doing it if you're not. You'll see more hands per hour, and you won't have to look at the miserable low-lifes that make up most of the tables at Commerce.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:07 PM

Default No one answered the ?

Got your hand reviews. Thank you. But my real ? about how to make sure that you think about players other than the raiser - no one spoke to that issue.

Shant, as to your suggestion of online play, I have been reluctant to play online for $ because IMO it could be relatively easy for a group of people to use Instant Messages to really make life tough online.

Also, I just enjoy live play more and the characters at Commerce haven't worn me out...yet. Except for the time I had hot coffee poured (accidentally) down my back and the house didn't do jack *hit about it. Played the Bike for the next 90 days, but I find the pickin's easier at Commerce, even for a relative beginner like me.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: No one answered the ?

[ QUOTE ]
I have been reluctant to play online for $ because IMO it could be relatively easy for a group of people to use Instant Messages to really make life tough online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, get yourself a pattern mapper and you'll eat those fish alive.

-SmileyEH