Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 03:14 AM

Default Anyone who Disagrees with this is Stupid

Assuming Stupid people are invariably wrong I think this has got to be true.

Therefore, I think I've found Skalansky's secret for winning all his arguments. Even when he's wrong.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-01-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Anyone who Disagrees with this is Stupid

i'm not trying to offend here, but i feel the need to say i think this is hillarious, i just read this by DS in response to PairTheBoard in another thread:

[ QUOTE ]
I might conceivably get caught making a stupid statement on very rare occasions. But it is not likely that the person doing the catching has difficulty understanding stock options.

[/ QUOTE ]

from what i know you two seem like intelligent dudes, which makes this funny, do you guys have some kind of history between each other that i can get caught up on for entertainment purposes?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:16 AM

Pair the Board takes offense at the attitude I have toward people who are opininated but don't have superior adeptness or education at math and logic. However, just like a very strong, agile and fast person is a big favorite over a random person at any sport, so too is a logically superior person a big favorite over a random person when they disagree about most subjects.

If I am right, it is sort of unfair. Just like athletics are unfair. But I don't feel too sorry for those who don't know math and logic, especially in this country, because so many of them are that way due to their own choosing.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pair the Board takes offense at the attitude I have toward people who are opininated but don't have superior adeptness or education at math and logic. However, just like a very strong, agile and fast person is a big favorite over a random person at any sport, so too is a logically superior person a big favorite over a random person when they disagree about most subjects.

If I am right, it is sort of unfair. Just like athletics are unfair. But I don't feel too sorry for those who don't know math and logic, especially in this country, because so many of them are that way due to their own choosing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The internet is the perfect forum for this kind of attitude, you can say what you like when you like, people seem to need to read this crap (just like i am now). Of course in real life people would just point and laugh at you and quietly tell a friend what a berk you are.

Being smart is all well and good, telling people how great you are and what idiots they are all the time, just smacks of childishness. Most people in the world of course are idiots, just not a lot of these guys on here. Obviously with the exception of the band of sycophants you have following your every word, completely incapable of original thought, they think they are cool because they agree with you (truthfully they don't even know why they agree).

Bitterly Mack
Old 08-01-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I don't feel too sorry for those who don't know math and logic, especially in this country, because so many of them are that way due to their own choosing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean they chose not to have a 140+ IQ [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I am right, it is sort of unfair. Just like athletics are unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since you are in fact so smart David, why don't you come up with a handicapping system like in golf so that all posters here can compete with a chance to win? Don't try to fiddle with your numbers either cause I keep copies of all previous matches.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly a big favourite to win the argument but then you could probably present a strong logical case for god and run rings about many that disagreed. What would that prove?

The best lawyers get their clients off but doesn't mean they didn't commit the crime. Its not like sport where winning is the only measure.

chez
Old 08-01-2005, 02:34 PM

I'm having an arguement with someone in the politics forum that doesn't understand causality. He thinks that because two variables are correlated there MUST be a casual relationship.

I don't think you need to be smart to understand how stupid that is. I think even basic education or common sense should be sufficient. There is no excuse for that idiocy.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He thinks that because two variables are correlated there MUST be a casual relationship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems reasonable to think they are at least on nodding terms, as long as they don't get serious.

BTW why do you hope this guy doesn't play poker?

chez
Old 08-01-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming Stupid people are invariably wrong I think this has got to be true.

Therefore, I think I've found Skalansky's secret for winning all his arguments. Even when he's wrong.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

So nobody got the joke that the statement could just as easily be False? Thus DS can win arguments, even when he's wrong? ie. by putting a statement in this form he can be right and wrong at the same time? Plus get another chance to call people stupid?

PairTheBoard