Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Aces and Kings: Reviews?

For what it's worth, I loved this book. I bought it for the plane ride to Vegas and just breezed through it. Very interesting read and insight into what the high stakes poker world is really like.

Jeff
Old 07-02-2005, 01:19 AM

This is an interesting book. Profiles of a lot of major name players, delving into their "secret origins" and current accomplishments. I decided not to buy it as it gave me an excuse to walk to the bookstore on my lunch breaks and read a little each time (a little "forced" exercise on my part) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Amazon? What about us (ConJelCo!)

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ]
Chuck,
Do you have the book in stock now?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 07-04-2005, 04:58 PM

If you like reading about poker's less PC history I'd reccomend the book. These days poker wants a clean image, but there are some fun-to-read anectdotes about coke binges, cheating, the mafia, and Puggy Pearson that are certainly fun to read.

I myself love reading about the gamblers of old, so I enjoyed the book, even though teh chapters on more contemporary figures like Chris Ferguson and "the women of poker" were decidedly less interesting. The bottom line is, the stories of the newer breed of players are boring, but the stories on Chip Reese, Puggy Pearson, and Stu Ungar make the book worth reading. There's also some stuff about Brunson but it seems I'd read it before in other books.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:37 PM

I just finished the book too and also found it quite interesting.
This book won't make you a better player but it gives you insight on how some of the top players developed their game..whether it is Ferguson learning the math or Harman playing by 'feel'. I also have new found respect for some players such as Chip Reese whom I have only heard about but never knew why he is regarded as one of the greatest poker players of all time.