Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 03-06-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Harrington On Hold Em Hand 4-1

I'm reading HOH for the third time. Hand 4-1, page 144-145 bothers me every time.

You've got 76o in the big blind (third in chips with eight players left in a satellite). An aggressive player who has you outchipped raises to 2x BB, and all fold around to you. This looks like a fold to me. Harrington recommends calling, saying that you are getting 3.5 to 1 on your call (and that you are only a bigger dog than that to an overpair). First of all, an overpair is certainly in the list of likely hands for your opponents. Secondly, it doesn't seem fair to consider yourself to be getting showdown odds against your opponent. He is going to bet you off of some pots that you would have otherwise won if you're call preflop put you all-in. You are risking a big loss on hands where you hit middle pair and have to figure out how to play. If you are just going to muck middle pair to avoid postflop trouble, then you can't consider yourself to be only a 2-1 dog against AK as part of your calculation. The relatively small pot (currently 105 chips, when you started the hand with over 1700) seems to be a further argument against calling. Am I just missing something here?

Thanks,
Skip
Old 03-06-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Harrington On Hold Em Hand 4-1

You've got a decent (though not great) trapping hand, for the price he is offering, why not call? His aggressiveness means that your implied odds shoot way up. If you flop middle pair, and he plays aggressively, you can easily fold and have not cost yourself much. Of course, if you have trouble folding middle pair then you should muck preflop.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:53 AM

Thanks for reminding me to re-read HOH again. I washed out of a big tourney yesterday with AK. BB called my preflop bet, everyone else folded. Flop comes something and two 7s (no A or K). He checked, I bet the pot, he calls. I figured he had a low/mid pair and put me on over cards. Turn comes Ace. He says all-in. I put him on A-something. Dummy-me can't get away from TPTK. I call. He shows 75o. Went home way early, having been played like a fiddle. So, in summary, yes, the implied odds are the key.

Lesson for me - don't go calling all-ins early in tourney with only TPTK. And work on my hand reading.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:52 PM

If you are folding to min raises all the time other players are going to pick up that you are super tight and dont defend your blinds. Youll start getting raised by mediocre hands because your opponents know theyll get away with it. If you occasionally play hands like this it will be for opponents to put you on a hand and youre getting 3.5 to 1 pot odds like Dan said.