Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-18-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Am I really \"protecting\" my 2nd pair/nut flush draw?

[ QUOTE ]
So for the same price as calling the turn and river,

[/ QUOTE ]
Now, wait a second. It's only the same price if he doesn't have to pay any more when he doesn't improve. Are you saying that he should fold if he's re-raised? Of course not. What if the river's a blank and UTG bets? I agree with your analysis, but you can't really say opening himself up twice to bets doesn't cost anything.

Anyway, I (and clearly MCS) thought the overcalls were more valuable than you guys. You've convinced me, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 11-20-2004, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I think that I'd have been more confident about the raise if I had been sure that: (1) I wouldn't get 3-bet on the turn, and (2) I could get a free showdown if I didn't improve. I wasn't all that positive about either (1) or (2). I also thought the overcalls could be valuable, especially if I was just knocking out dominated hands.

In the actual hand, I decided to raise to knock out players, and I think this was a good decision but for the wrong reason. The button and SB folded. UTG called.

River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG bets, I raise, UTG calls. UTG has T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and MHIG. Thank you river.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:21 PM

Raise, You've got 14 outs to 2 pair or better and you've already got a decent hand that might be best. Check behind on the river if you don't improve but with that many outs, and a semistrong hand, I'd like to put some pressure on people.