Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2004, 06:04 AM

Default time pot (no content)

Big game at Lucky Chances: 10-10-20, 40 to go. Instead of paying our own time ($7/half hour) we're potting for it, meaning that one guy pays $63 for the entire table and the next person to win a pot with $200 of called money pays him back the $63. Since no one wants to be the sucker who pays everyone's way, the action has gone dry for the last fifteen minutes.

I open for 40 in MP with A5s and only the big blind calls, making $100 in the pot. The flop has some middle cards and we both check. The turn is an ace and we both check. The river is another card and he checks. I decide he'll call $60 with any pair, so I bet $60. He calls and my hand is good. Just as I'm feeling all smooth for checking the turn the dealer mumbles something about a time pot. I realize I've gone and won $220, so I hand over the $60 I just squeezed out plus three ugly gray dollar chips. I rule.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: time pot (no content)

Theoretically, if you never bet with a decent hand in this situation, your opposition could assume you are always bluffing and play you accordingly. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Michael
Old 07-24-2004, 05:39 PM

Default A Little Content...

[ QUOTE ]
Theoretically, if you never bet with a decent hand in this situation, your opposition could assume you are always bluffing and play you accordingly. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course he wants to bet a decent hand here . He just should have bet $40 instead of $60. I would say $49, or even $45, but such an unusual amount might trigger in his opponent's head what he's trying to do...

ML4L
Old 07-25-2004, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of paying our own time ($7/half hour) we're potting for it... the action has gone dry for the last fifteen minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, why would everyone agree to do this if its killing the action for the first half of every down?
Old 07-25-2004, 02:23 PM

I don't know, but it seems like something a bunch of tight players dreamed up to get the live ones to pay their time.

I think it's a horrible idea (and not just because I can't count to 200.)