Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-28-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Re: 1/2 $200 Max, full ring Live with Middle Set

Given the stack sizes, and the size of the pot I think you have to go for a check raise all in here. Given how likely he is to bet and the 2 players to act between the two of you-- you could very easily trap a lot of dead money by checking. The prospect of a free card is bad, although not disastrous given the strength of your hand.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
You are right to think that you need to protect the big pot. However, since your buddy is so likely to bet and you have the others trapped in the middle if he does, you have a perfect setup for checkraising all in. I cannot see any other play assuming your assumptions are correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

The assumptions are correct. I'm guessing with that much money out there that he'd bet 75% to 80% of the time. When I was announcing my bet I realized that it was a good spot for a check raise. Ugh. Oh well. The button just called (??), a heart came on the turn, and the money obviously went in before the river which bricked.

I quickly announced 'chips!' and played on.

Thanks for all the thoughts and replies. As usual, much appreciated.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Defining your hand is quite a silly and pointless concept. Does a barely less than minimum raise actually define anything to you? Or does it reveal things to your opponent? Stop turning your hands into 72o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else agree with this? It seems to me when I can put my buddy on a narrow range of hands that's a good thing, no?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Defining your hand is quite a silly and pointless concept. Does a barely less than minimum raise actually define anything to you? Or does it reveal things to your opponent? Stop turning your hands into 72o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else agree with this? It seems to me when I can put my buddy on a narrow range of hands that's a good thing, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think their point is good for you bad for him. and if you are a true buddy, you would tell him his flaw.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think their point is good for you bad for him. and if you are a true buddy, you would tell him his flaw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I'll think about it. But this guy and I don't play soft at each other. Also, if he had a 'tell' on me I'm quite certain he'd let me go on spewing....

And I'd still be his good friend. Take it for it's worth...
Old 12-28-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...He's cheaply defining his hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

Defining your hand is quite a silly and pointless concept...

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, me too.

I also want to talk further about my friend's flaw as I've been thinking about it. He's a guy I talk poker with regularly. He also thinks very highly of himself as a player. (I'm not judging the point, but simply stating it as fact) We've discussed hands and strategies on many occasions and I think he simply doesn't prefer my opinion at times so I've stopped rendering it.