Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-27-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Someone explain this to me

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CO raises, button calls, SB calls (2/3 structure), why is it bad for me to call with 69o in the BB? How can this possibly be -EV for me? Real explanations please.

Also, apparently K4o is not a 3-betting hand from the SB? And not a defense hand from the BB vs a button raise? Come on. I guess I am a gigantic LAG compared to the rest of you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't move! Now put the PokerStove down slowly and no one will get hurt [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

The problem with a hand like 96o is implied odds. Do a hot-and-cold simulation versus three other hands and you'll see that you win quite a bit. But if you somehow opened PokerStove up and looked inside at how 96o wins, you would see many hands where the flop is K86 and the pair of sixes magically holds up or improves on the river to win.

The reality is that the present EV of this flop four-handed from the BB is very small. Often you will not even see the turn card. Many other times you will pay a bet to make a flop call that is barely above zero EV. The bets on the turn and river are going to come with negative EV as well. Usually when you have the best hand there will be little action. If they are playing you're probably losing.

96o is the easiest all-in call in the world. But if you have more chips it's a problem because on average you will lose some of those extra chips defending your preflop equity. Negative implied odds preflop is simply another way of saying that calling all-in is more profitable than calling with chips in reserve and playing the hand out. If the negative implied odds are bad enough then the preflop profit from your 7-1 pot odds is completely eaten up and the preflop call becomes a money-loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:14 AM

Posting blind.....

Because offsuit hands suck unless they're high. You could very well have to hit your hand twice, and you don't hit your hand well or make a straight often enough to make the 7-1 odds worthwhile.

The K4o hand is fairly simple. You almost never have more than one overcard to a steal range. It's usually either an over/under (when you're ahead) to two middles...or you're beat/dominated. The times you are ahead, you're only a 60/40 favorite and your hand plays terribly OOP against any semi-decent stealer.

If you don't believe me about the offsuit hands, go to pokerpatterns and run a graph filtered only for non-pocketpair offsuit hands.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People in IRC are telling me it is a horrible call and everyone tells me I am too loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are too loose. this call is not why. i dontt hink its a profitable call overall but against vvv bad players id make it b/c i like playing pots w/ bad players.

Barron