Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 03:06 AM

Default Indy is at a Cross Road

Without any context, I can appreciate those who would say my belief that Indy may be in trouble, is merely a knee-jerk reaction to them losing to San Diego.

However, I think Indy has one glaring weakness that reared its head once again in the S.D. game.

Indy is a pass first, run second offense. The team thrives on the fear it puts into teams with the passing game. They are masterful of playing off that fear by using the pass to set up the run. Once the run starts humming, they put a dagger in the defense with the play-action.

Howevever, (as was pointed out by L.A. Times columnist Bob Oates last year) in big games, Indy gets conservative and tries to pound the ball first ... the go to the air. Oates predicted last year that if Indy tried to do this (once again) they would fail miserably at New England.

That is what happened. The only time Indy moved the ball with authority was at the end of the first half. As I was watching Sunday's game, I couldn't help but notice that Indy was not able to function until it resigned itself to the fact it had to pass, pass, pass, to get into the game.

Well, they got back into the game, and had the ball deep in San Diego territory in the 4th quarter trailing by two. Again, at that point, they got conservative. I could almost see Dungy thinking about how much time he could burn before giving the ball back to the Chargers. This takes the biggest threat away from the Offense.

The Colts offense is based on constant aggression, and the threat of scoring on any given play. If they get away from that, they can be had.

So, let's see what happens next. If the Colts go into the playoffs firing the ball, I don't see them being stopped. If they try to play "playoff" ball-control, they will be vulnerable.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Indy is at a Cross Road

I have to disagree with your assessment. The Colts offence is set up to counter whatever the defense decides to defend. That’s why Peyton changes the play at the line so much. Edge has 1465 yards (top 4 or 5) rushing, so it's not like they can't run the ball. Early in the year, Peyton said he had to audible out of pass plays a lot & that was why his fantasy numbers were so weak at that time. It was because defenses were playing pass so much. The Colts do have more pass attempts than run attempts this year... but that is pretty much a league wide trend. There are exceptions of coarse like Kansas City.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Colts offence is set up to counter whatever the defense decides to defend

[/ QUOTE ]

kind of like every other offense in the NFL. they just do it more effectively.

[ QUOTE ]
Edge has 1465 yards (top 4 or 5) rushing, so it's not like they can't run the ball

[/ QUOTE ]

be careful looking at stats like this in a vacuum. it's a lot easier to run the ball when you have Peyton, Harrison, Wayne, Clark, etc.

bottom line, the Colts can be attacked just like many other offenses - it's just harder to do. if the opposing D can stop the run, and if the D can generate an effective pass rush without a lot of blitzing (ie with 4 and sometimes 5 guys)...well that will do it.

of course, this is easier said than done.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:55 AM

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/200...3389/#comments

read the comments by stan.