Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Controversy over symbols and racism .

[ QUOTE ]
Why should we be proud of people who tried to secede from the nation?

[/ QUOTE ] It is not a matter of us being proud, it is a matter of those Southerners being proud. In all honesty, what the Southern states tried to do, was pretty damn American.

Anyways, pfunk, I don't understand the hyperbole and bombastic speech from you in this thread [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 11:51 AM

Actually pimp cups came from Cali, as did the type of rap that eventually evolved into "crunk." You are the reason the democratic party can't win a [censored] election. Could you please refrain from talking politics until at least after the next presidential election.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They were better equipped, better armed, baracaded the south with it's navy, and had much larger army

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that is EXACTLY how they "covered the spread".

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem was that the Union soldiers sucked compared to the Rebels. Thus a four-year, bloody war.

The South (and appalachia in particular) still provides the U.S. its best soldiers to this day. Tough, skilled with firearms, know how to fight, can be pretty [censored] mean.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:57 AM

I really don't know how to say what I'm about to say, but I think it needs to be said and I'll just write and not think about it too much.

I've lived in the south almost all of my life, mostly in south-central Louisiana where some people know there's a significant black population.

Many people get the wrong idea about the South. There aren't many overt racists here - in fact, what's misconstrued as racism is some combination of cultural insensitivity and classism. I guess that's kind've like saying the blacks that act white are okay, but there's really just one subset of people that are really annoying/hated around here, and those are the [censored]. I'm sure you can figure out the censored word, but it starts with an N. Think Chris Rock's bit about [censored] and black people. Of course what you consider a [censored] is really a gradient scale that roughly correlates with how old you are.

For example: my grandmother thinks all black people are [censored]. She's also in her 80s and senile.

Example 2: My mother has a condescending view of most blacks but she hangs out with them, does business with them, etc. She really only has a problem with the ones that are poor. It's a bit of subtle racism that I don't know if it's better or worse than the overt type, you know?

Example 3: Me, I guess. I hate stupid people. This is comprised of a lot of blacks. I think it's important to point out that my generation also hates the stupid white people, too.

The people that are displaying the confederate flag, I think, fall mostly into example 2. It's not an out-and-out racism but I think most people who display it do it with the intent of a bit of a riling up and they hide behind the ideas of states rights and heritage. Obviously it isn't all of them I've known some outright racists and some people that actually DO believe about heritage, etc. But I do wonder why people need to celebrate such a heritage...

Meh. I dunno.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:59 AM

Barry Bonds reply when asked if he'd like to be traded to Boston: Too many racists there.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:00 PM

interesting post...
Old 12-20-2005, 12:01 PM

Wacki,
What the [censored] are you talking about when you said freedom of speech?

And how is the federal govt imposing its will over the voters of CA different? States rights, isn't that what this is all about?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone flies the confederate flag to display their southern pride and someone else immediately interprets that as a racist action, that's simply a miscommunication as a result of both parties' differing past experiences in dealing with the confederate flag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, let's call it a miscommunication. But given the immense baggage associated with the Confederate flag, it is a miscommunication that one should be likely to expect if you're trying to show off your "southern pride."

[ QUOTE ]
It's all about context and I think everyone can agree on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

What isn't? I think the point that many people have is that there is a huge overwhelming context behind symbols such as the swastika or the Confederate flag that generally overpowers whatever your more small-scale context is.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They were better equipped, better armed, baracaded the south with it's navy, and had much larger army

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that is EXACTLY how they "covered the spread".

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem was that the Union soldiers sucked compared to the Rebels. Thus a four-year, bloody war.

The South (and appalachia in particular) still provides the U.S. its best soldiers to this day. Tough, skilled with firearms, know how to fight, can be pretty [censored] mean.

[/ QUOTE ]
The south got owned and they had the better army, okay. I'm not arguing that the Northern soldiers were better or strogner or tougher or anything, who the [censored] cares? That the south was better at war and still lost is only a further testment to their pwnedness imo.

I think we are moving into politics territory.