Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-16-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Good time for turn sexy?

Worm, I initially didnt understand your strategy. This is becuz for some reason I misread the board in the OP, I thought the board was QQ9x, not QQ99. Now I totally get where you are coming from.(I knew I was missing something) Your strategy now makes a TON of sense, and theres actually really no point in check/raising the turn since all this will do is induce the villain to fold hands that are drawing dead like JT or two hearts.

If I thought the villain would not call a turn bet with JT or a heart draw, I would check the turn and if he bet to my surprise I would just call as you suggested and donk the river hoping if he was on a draw it got there. If I thought he was dumb enough to still call the turn with those drawing hands if I bet, then obviously I would bet here every time.

So on a QQ9x board, its all about extracting value, but on a QQ99 board, the main objective to me is keeping hands that are drawing dead from folding. You didnt explicitly mention this but now I see thats exactly what you were implying so im on the same page as you now. Checkraising the turn would be bad on a QQ99 board since it induces hands that are drawing dead to fold. Betting or checking and calling is the right line depending on the opponent.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Good time for turn sexy?

It's fine but only if you're check raising the turn. The call turn bet river line makes no sense. If he has any pair he'll probably bet the turn and may well call a raise and a river bet (but probably won't bet the river if you call his turn bet). If he has a flush draw then he may well bet the turn and call a raise as well, but won't put in any bets on the river if he misses. So IF you're going to check the turn you need to raise.

Note that this is another example of how being out of position means that you need to take a more conservative, ABC line.